107 replies to this topic

#1 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

No more color reversal film made by Kodak. Super 8, 16 mm, 35mm - gone. Vision3 50D color negative film will come in Super 8. More info on http://www.schmalfilm.de- in German language...

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wouldn't it be good public relations to let the public know before the final run of 100 Ektachrome D is made, then let people who really like the stock buy a whole bunch of it and base the final run on pre-sales as well?

And if Kodak is worried a huge buy on a final run of Ektachrome 100D film product will affect sales of the remaining film stocks, just give the buyer a cartridge or two of the negative stock that will replace the discontinued Ektachrome stock as a lure.

I love Ektachrome 100 D, however, 50 negative may prove to be an even better alternative, as long as one can afford the negative transfer costs, so Kodak could win both ways, let people buy a ton of ektachrome, but lure them with a free sample negative replacement stock as well.

#3 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

The final run is long ago - they sell the last batch from the refrigerator - Kodak says the film in stock will last for about 3 months. So you can see: This is a production which was long ago - and now they sell the last rolls...

#4 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

A shame I am tapped out after Christmas and an upcoming trip overseas. I'd but 200 cartridges if I could. Negative stock is stupid crazy expensive the transfer compared to reversal. This is a real blow to my ability to film color in 8mm.

#5 Bill Rodgers

Bill Rodgers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Director
  • London & Sussex UK

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I love conventionally projecting my own films on a screen. It now looks like I'll mostly be shooting B&W Tri-X for that very reason.

#6 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

How sad... I actually just got watery eyed. Guess I don't have to go out of my way to find a good scanning house for 100D after all. :(

#7 Ian Payne

Ian Payne
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Not good, surf and super 8 are my passion, what to do but stock up what I can afford and use selectively, was about to buy a new camera. Was

Edited by Ian Payne, 12 December 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#8 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Interestingly, Kodak just announced on their Motion Picture Page:

http://motion.kodak....012/Dec11_1.htm

They mention the second part of the article, adding Vision3 50D to their Super 8 portfolio. No mention of eliminating 100D... Yet...

#9 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Oh... and I am extremely excited about Vision3 50D. I had the chance to shoot a few rolls from Pro8mm and the results are amazing. I've never seen a finer grained, highlight detailed, Super 8 film. Fantastic stuff.

#10 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sorry... posting again... Unfortunately, this part of the official Kodak release:

With this addition to the Kodak Super 8 film portfolio, filmmakers can choose from three color negatives ranging in speeds from 50 to 500 on the exposure index, or the KODAK TRI-X Black & White Reversal Film 7266.

Seems to confirm that 100D Color Reversal is no longer available. :(

Edited by David Cunningham, 12 December 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#11 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

The official statement:
http://motion.kodak....70514/index.htm

#12 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

no color reversal film being readily available is a disaster and will only make super8 increasingly inaccessible to those newcomers wanting to just pick up a camera and shoot as simply as possible.

#13 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Well there goes my hope to one day shoot something on 5285. Not S8mm, 'course, but sucks just the same. I really loved Kodak's Reversal stocks... looks like they and their wonderful quirks, and gone for good.

#14 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

The final run is long ago - they sell the last batch from the refrigerator - Kodak says the film in stock will last for about 3 months. So you can see: This is a production which was long ago - and now they sell the last rolls...

Kodak made one last final run of double super 8 100d last year, people should of read between the lines back then and began stock pilling to avoid any rush this announcement may cause!

#15 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

no color reversal film being readily available is a disaster and will only make super8 increasingly inaccessible to those newcomers wanting to just pick up a camera and shoot as simply as possible.

Technically, we still have Velvia 50 through Spectra. Not sure what their supply and future looks like. But, it's there.

http://www.spectrafi...o.com/Film.html

#16 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Now we'll see if any other company will step up to fill the void; if they think the void is worth filling.

#17 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

This is a big problem for students, too. When I was in college we shot reversal since it was so much cheaper than negative. Now, the universities that are still teaching film programs - even though they are few and far between - will force students who want to shoot on film to shoot negative. The costs alone will push even more budding filmmakers towards the faster, cheaper alternative.

Another tactically poor move by Kodak. If you want people to keep shooting film, you have to get them when they are just starting out.

#18 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

hopefully someone like Lomography.com will have a crack at producing and selling to the highly lucrative hipster demographic.
They're already producing their own brands of 110 and 120 stills film so I think super8 might be up their street.

#19 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

I just got the confirmation from Spectra Film and Video regarding their Velvia 50D and E6 processing:

"yes, we will continue to stock this item and the processing for the foreseeable future."

Just ordered two rolls to test it out.

#20 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well there goes my hope to one day shoot something on 5285. Not S8mm, 'course, but sucks just the same. I really loved Kodak's Reversal stocks... looks like they and their wonderful quirks, and gone for good.

Cracks me up, DP's wouldn't hesitate to pick up a digital 8 camcorder or mini-dv and be cutting edge, but no way would anyone attempt anything of note on Super-8.

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc