#1 James Little

James Little

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Dear All,

My better knowledge has informed me that parasitics such as image warping and chromatic aberration are far more difficult to overcome in zoom lenses versus fixed, in particular adjustable zoom. I have however an application that would GREATLY benefit from a variable zoom lens and I've done some reading that implies that now a days the corrective measures designers apply to such variable zoom lenses (high quality ones of course) can make them comparable to fixed.

Here is where I come to the community:

1. Is it true that variable zoom lenses can now be found that are comparable to a simpler fixed lens?
2. If #1 is true, does anyone know of any lenses which might be able to view an ~30mm image area that is suitable for Ultra HD film scanning?

The reason I ask is that we are looking to scan 35mm film as well as 16mm film and having to adjust the focal length from one to the other basically means we need two completely different configurations. This is difficult and expensive to manage and would be ideal if we could find a lens with a range of 1-2x magnification so we can just adjust the lens and not have to move the sensor and lens position to achieve!

Here's to hoping the community believes this is a possibility and have some good ideas!

Many thanks in advance,

James

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Metropolis Post