No replies to this topic

#1 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I'm considering buying a C100 and external recorder so I can work as an owner/operator. I already have the lenses.

From what I've seen the Alexa has, legitimately, 14 stops or so of DR.

The Epic, when I last used it seemed to clip 2.5 stops sooner and had .5 stops more shadow noise.

The 5D with HTP had 1 stop more shadow noise than the Alexa and 3 stops less highlight detail, but was very close to the Epic.

The Alexa is amazing!

I had great results with the F3 in log mode but my lenses are all EF mount, which leaves me the options of C100, C300, BMCC and Scarlet. I won't tolerate shooting raw so the Scarlet and BMCC are out. The C100 and an external recorder seems to be the best affordable option, as much as I hate external recorders. From what I gather, that will put the C100 on par with its big brother.

Then I saw this:

Okay, so wow. The F3 looks like it's close to the Alexa. Amazing. The C300 is a half stop worse but its fake log gives it over saturated video highlights (yuck).

The Epic looks terrible! Apparently a new firmware update improved it a lot. Was the Epic I used that was like a full three stops clippier than the Alexa the old version or the new one?

Most importantly, how does the C100 compare with my current camera (which I don't love), the 5D Mark III? For DR exclusively.

Thanks!

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio