DIY 12v 5-7A compact battery based on DeWalt power tools. Please help.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hi, please help me build battery for 16mm Kinor 16 CX 2M. Battery should be 12v 5-7A. At the moment I'm using a motorbike sealed battery, but it's heavy and it takes long to charge it.
I saw some people convert DeWalt 12v batteries to use them with Arriflex cameras, which is basically the same as Kinor. I need it to be with 4 pin XLR
connection and at the same time to have original connector to charge it using original charger.
If anybody can post some king of plans, schemes or pictures how to do it I'd be very greatfull. Thanks.

#2 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Here are some pictures, I want to fixe it to the camera like on first picture. So I can move the camera freely without lods of cables running to the battery.
longvalleyequip.com/adapter.php

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy some nickel cadmium or nickel metal hydride cells and put them in a box with an XLR on it. I've done this a few times and it's a fairly low cost way to obtain batteries.

I actually have some parts here now that I bought to do this with - these NiMH cells (that's a very good price, as they are high quality cells), some normal battery holders, and miniature volt meters. I'll simply use a plastic project box (I haven't bought those yet), and 12 cells per pack to create a 14.4V, 2000mAh battery. I don't know if this would be adequate for your camera since NiMH is not as good at high current loads as NiCd, but you could do the same with bigger cells, and use NiCd rather than NiMH.

Avoid lithium ion cells. They could work, but they require a lot of complex electronics to work really well and have a short life, even if you don't use them. Also, you aren't allowed to take them on aircraft unless they have passed expensive safety tests.

For charging, I have had good luck with chargers like this. They can handle NiMH, NiCd, lithium, and even lead-acid batteries, and have a lot of programmable features. What's more, they run from 12V, so you can charge in your car.

Of course, this is very much a homebuilt approach, and probably won't have the reliability of off the shelf batteries, but it's probably the cheapest way to go if you don't mind a bit of construction work.

P

#4 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, please help me build battery for 16mm Kinor 16 CX 2M. Battery should be 12v 5-7A. At the moment I'm using a motorbike sealed battery, but it's heavy and it takes long to charge it.
I saw some people convert DeWalt 12v batteries ..... I need it to be with 4 pin XLR
connection and at the same time to have original connector to charge it using original charger.

If you don't have any familiarity with really basic electrical stuff then the cheapest option is probably the 12V gell cell (bike battery). You can put it in a bum bag (money belt). Maybe a smaller one if you don't really need 5-7Ah ? If you are just exploring on your own then naving two batteries is probably ok. Having only one can be a real pain.

Making up packs is quite easy if you have some basic experience with electrinocs, soldering etc. Normally the cells were soldered together. You can get cells with little metal tabs so the soldering is easier, safer. Find out what Ah people commonly have for an on board battery pack, then you can see what cells suit and how to wire them.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 25 December 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#5 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I just read your other post and realize I probably misread you. Your peak current draw is 5-7A, yes?
What I was suggesting basically stays the same. What is a common battery capacity for those cameras? (Ah or mAh)

I did quite a lot of operating with a separate battery. I actualy liked it better. It made the camera lighter. But if you don't like that then the gell cells are maybe too heavy, so you have to make up some NiCads or NiMhi packs.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 25 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi Gregg, thanks for reply. Yes it needs to be 12V 7A. Good advice, but again, maybe you know something like DV Link System or any other light alternative that charges fast and is under £200?

#7 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Off the shelf:
http://www.milwaukee...er-port/2349-20

use 12v milwaukee batteries and any of this type of cable:

http://www.bhphotovi..._Cigarette.html

Done. I believe the "3A regulated" is on the usb port, the 12v port should be totally unregulated. If not, its pretty easy to just open it up and remove the regulator so it's accessing the battery directly - and using something like this means minimal gaff tape - nice and clean.

Edited by Jaron Berman, 27 December 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#8 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

Off the shelf:
http://www.milwaukee...er-port/2349-20

use 12v milwaukee batteries and any of this type of cable:

http://www.bhphotovi..._Cigarette.html

Done. I believe the "3A regulated" is on the usb port, the 12v port should be totally unregulated. If not, its pretty easy to just open it up and remove the regulator so it's accessing the battery directly - and using something like this means minimal gaff tape - nice and clean.

Jaron, good idea. Again, I don't get how to connect them.
For example, THIS is the battery I want to use. I'll need some sort of adapter like for DeWalt anyway.

#9 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Got it! I think I should give it a try. Looks like the best option at the moment.

#10 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

UPDATE. Bought a Milwaukee 12v 3A battery + Cordless Power Port + 4pin XLR + some cables = £80! + £20 for a electrician to solder four wires together here in London! Shame! £100 total cost.
The question is, could I have found a 12v 3A battery that charges in 30 minutes from arri or aston camera and recell it all together for $160?

Will post some pictures of my set-up on Monday.

#11 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

You could have bought a soldering iron for that!

#12 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

You could have bought a soldering iron for that!

It may seem strange, but I don't know how to solder.

#13 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Jaron thanks for this...
Posted Image
I was going to ask the engineers to make some of these up and here they are at B&H for $17. I have a couple of battery powered compressors with cigarette lighter outs that I thought would be perfect as backup batteries at least.

#14 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

If anybody wants to see how my Milwaukee battery set-up looks like let me know.

#15 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Sure, post some pictures!

#16 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not the best looking one, but pretty good solution. Charges in 20 mins.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Not pretty, no. But probably effective!

I'd wrap some tape over those exposed terminals. There's no risk of electric shock at 12V, but it could start a fire if shorted out.

P

#18 Vadim Trofymenko

Vadim Trofymenko
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

It actually looks like a bomb!))

#19 Simon Ng

Simon Ng
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Malaysia

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

Still people using 16mm camera ?

#20 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Super 16 is still used for various types of productions and people use it on their own films, however, nothing like the levels in the past..

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

CineTape