#1 Bradley Stearn

Bradley Stearn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I received a Canon Super 8mm camera for Christmas I have never shot on film before, so I cannot wait to start filming with Super 8mm. I also got Kodak Ekta 100D, I am aware it is not being produced any-more so I am fairly lucky to get my hands on a reel.

Any tips to be given on shooting with super 8mm? I have always been a digital filmmaker

I wrote a short overview of the camera and my first thoughts on my blog, which can be seen here.

#2 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Download the manual. Bypass the internal filter, which is now ~35 years old and made of gelatine, and get yourself a thread-in daylight filter; preferably optical glass. See if you can dig up a S8 projector too.

If you plan on editing on a computer, shoot negative. Kodak is replacing Ektachrome 100D with Vision3 50D. Telecine (to miniDV or hard drive) costs the same for negative as it does for reversal. I'd stick to 50D and 200T. If you want a high saturation reversal film, Spectra still has Velvia in S8 cartridges.

Reversal films have very little latitude, so you've got to get them right the first time.

And have fun! Super 8 is way more fun to shoot than digital! You'll enjoy looking at the results more too. Film always seems to have more character than digital. The real trade off is usually money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: super 8mm, canon, kodak ektachrome

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Metropolis Post