5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Ive shot a time lapse sequence in JPG with a Panasonic G2 Micro 4/3rds still camera and recently downloaded a copy of Virtual Dub version 1.3c (build 10740.) When I try and import the series of stills with File - Video File, I get a message saying that VD doesn't recognise the file type. I selected the 'All files' option but it still comes up with this message. By the way, is a JPG the same thing as a JPEG? Ive just assumed that they were.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

They are. Your version of VirtualDub is pretty old; you may wish to upgrade (it's free, after all) and try again.

I haven't used virtualdub for this task, but you might try assembling some other JPEG frames (even just a few copies of the same image) to see if there's something specifically about Panasonic JPEGs it doesn't like. If so, you could run your JPEGs through a batch processor such as the one in Photoshop or a free application such as ImageMagick, to reencode them into something that VirtualDub will load.

Or, you could use some other application, such as ffmpeg, to assemble your JPEGs into an animation.

P

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

They are. Your version of VirtualDub is pretty old; you may wish to upgrade (it's free, after all) and try again.

Ah yes, that was the cause. At the time, I couldn't get the link for the latest version to work. So I had to settle for this older version. Link for the latest version now works and this newer version of VD accepted my JPGs with no problem.

Though now there's another issue! And it may possibly have something to do with exporting the finished file. I couldn't actually use the 'Export' option as I couldn't quite understand the sub-options within that - was a little too technical for me. I instead saved the file as an AVI from the menu and that seemed to export it anyway. When I played the resulting file on the laptop, less than a quarter of the video had been created. In the folder that I intially opened with VD, there were over 1000 photos and VD was counting them. After they were imported, I selected a frame rate of 25fps. Playing back the video through VLC, I only get the beginning of the event that I recorded (a duration of 5 seconds.) Same duration with Windows Media Player. I looked at the properties of the file and it's stated as 347MB. It's a 1280x720 video.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just done another test. In the 'framerate' tab, I selected the 'process all frames' option as that seemed to be the logical thing to do. Didn't make any difference however.

#5 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I have played the clip within the program and checked the details. The number of frames is 131 despite there being over 2000 photo files in the folder that I initially opened with VD. I just assumed that after selecting the first file for importing into the program, all the rest would follow. Is there some sort of limit that can be set or reset? I have heard of some people importing well over 131 photo files into VD.

Ive also checked the file numbers of the photos to see if they follow a logical sequence and indeed they do. I'm guessing that if part way through, the file numbers changed from their usual pattern, that would likely cause issues.

#6 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Okay Ive worked out the cause of the trouble. Earlier, I suspected some discrepancy with the file numbers. I had scrolled through the file numbers and it looked like overall, they followed a logical sequence. Though just now, I checked around the 131 mark, and I see a P1010999.JPG, followed by a P1020001.JPG. So yea, I can see that's not quite logical. There could be other discrepancies too.

I'll have to try and rename / renumber the whole batch of files, something that I haven't done before. Hopefully, it's not going to be too tricky.

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly