#1 Erlend Ronold

Erlend Ronold

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hey, I am new to this site so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has been answered (probably) many times before. I am currently studying psychology, but have had an strong interest in photography for some years. Done a few professional jobs photographing for two corporations, and some other stuff, so I am a little bit experienced taking pictures/photoshop but not so much on the technical stuff. I am planning to build a bridge and slowly begin making may way into the realm of cinematography.

Since it seems like an enourmously technically complex field, I was wondering if anyone could try to give a few pointers on books, tips when being new and what computer editing software one should use. Currently i can only use a DSLR, should i save money digital video camera?

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Look at the list of book recommended on the forum.

You can start out using the HD video feature on your DSLR, although you may need some accessories to make it more friendly video. If you're using a PC try Lightworks Free http://www.lwks.com/ and use EyeFrame (found in the forum) to convert your DSLR files to a more edit friendly format. There's a learning curve (it's a professional NLE), but they have video tutorials on the website. However, you'll learn the principles of editing and you can upgrade to the Pro version if you like it - this imports a wider range of codecs.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 04 January 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#3 Zachary J Esters

Zachary J Esters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Greenville, MS

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi Erlend!

This is a great read to start with! It is called "Digital SLR Video and Filmmaking for Dummies."

Please do not take offense to the title of the book-- it REALLY is very helpful, and a very great book for fresh beginners, especially if you're merging from photography to videography! If you're feeling skeptical and have a Border's or Barnes and Nobles store nearby, I highly suggest to go take a look at a few pages of it before you buy!

Hope this helps!

Zachary J. Esters

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam