KevinMckendree

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • Jacksonville, Fl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I am curious on how some of you became DIT, and how one should become one? My mentor have recently started pushing me toward becomming a DIT. I used to work in Television for a while and can work most studio positions if I want too, but I left TV a few years ago to work as a ramp rat and a repair tech for PC's (got to pay the bills). I am looking into getting back into production work, but I always enjoyed the technical side of productions.

What workshops should I look into, and also, what will be a good path to take to gain work experience as a DIT?

#2 Dwight Hartnett

Dwight Hartnett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

There is no path to becoming a DIT really. When I consider my background and the backgrounds of other DITs we have overlapping skills and backgrounds but no common path to the position.

Things I would consider important:

-A working understanding of colour theory and grading (some DITs come out of the post/editing/colorist disciplines)

-On set and more specifically camera experience (I am biased but find the best DITs are generally ones who did time as 2nd and 1st ACs who understand the systems and politics of a film set)

-you have to have a good mind for quickly absorbing technical knowledge. This job is always changing. There is always some new piece of software, some new camera system that production will want to use. You need to be able to figure out how to integrate it's function seamlessly in to the workflow you've developed with post.

My advice would be try to get a job at a camera rental house, a post house, or in the camera department on a production that is shooting digitally. If you network (ie don't act like an ass) and get a reputation as a hard worker with sharp technical skills it won't take you long to break in.

#3 Ryan Prouty

Ryan Prouty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I started a s a shooter/editor, doing my own thing for a number of years before a DIT friend mentioned he thought I could handle the work and would enjoy it.  I found quickly I was a good contender - equal knowledge camera and post - as well as a deep INTEREST in all things workflow / digital. I say interest cause if you're not personally motivated to research, test, understand, etc on your own, there's no workshop that will help you out.  

I think the key is being FRIENDLY, getting CREATIVE WAY TO EXPLAIN DEEPLY TECHNICAL ISSUES - ie: Producer asks why the image looks like poop (they're seeing the image in LOG), and good NETWORKING skills.  

All the above said, it's still Hollywood - 'it's not what you know it's WHO'.... without my Union DIT buddy I had, who luckily I had helped out big in the past, I would have never gotten on set.  

#4 Jathavan Sriram

Jathavan Sriram

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Adding to Dwight and Ryan I think a DIT should also have more than general knowledge about data transfer, checksum creation and comparison (e.g. why is MD5 faster than SHA-2 ? ). Also good communication with the post production facility (or the guys you hand the files over) is very important. Furthermore as a DIT you should be involved in the process of discussing what equipment to be used for saving and backup of files - and what is required by the film insurance company.

Glidecam

CineTape

Zylight

Cinelicious

Abel Cine

Cadrage Directors Viewfinder

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

K5600 Lighting

Visual Products