#1 Chris Saul

Chris Saul
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I have a project coming up and the director wants to use a few projectors to project video in the background of our set. We are setting up a portrait shot of someone sitting in the foreground and we want to project video behind them and have the projection project on the furniture and wall of the room. It's a bedroom. My question is what type of projector should I get to avoid flicker? I also need it somewhat powerful but I need to be able to project close so something that can project wide. Any advice would be very helpful. I'm shooting on the Red Epic trying to stay at ASA 500.

#2 Cory Lonas

Cory Lonas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NYC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Not very well versed in projectors but make sure you get a lot of Solids, Floppies, and foam core to kill any kind of spill on that back wall. you will find that once you start adding light to your subject (aside from the projector) any spill on your projection surface will wash out your image(unless you have one of these bad boys http://www.projector...eality6500.html, which require an electrical tie in)

Here is something a colleague of mine shot http://www.youtube.c...&v=8NUL6BHd1Y8#!
as you can see the projection in the background is very dim. They used a sea of foam core to stop light leaks and used very low wattage HMIs so they could get some exposure from the projection. I would say go for the brightest projector you can get without blowing your budget(or a couple fuses). If you go for a bigger projector you can always reduce the brightness of the output, but it will be much harder get more light out of a smaller projector.

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineTape

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc