• Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

http://novacvideo.org/readysetfilm/

READY SET FILM: Intro to Grip & Electric – Now Seeking Applicants

CLASS DATES: February 16 -17, 2013

APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 25 at 5PM

WHO QUALIFIES: Residents of Orleans and Jefferson Parishes
Those with some experience in electrical, construction or comparable trades encouraged to apply

Ready Set Film: Intro to G&E Application

ABOUT THE PROGRAM: The Mayor’s Office of Cultural Economy, Film New Orleans, Film Jefferson and NOVAC with support from Spectrum FX and IATSE Local 478 will provide a free hands-on introduction to the grip and electric trades atReady Set Film in February to locals looking to enter into New Orleans’ burgeoning film industry. NOVAC is currently seeking applicants for this program, particularly those with some experience in electrical, construction or comparable trades.

This 2-day intensive will take place February 16 – 17 at local special effects studio, Spectrum FX where participants will gain the experience and exposure needed to work in grip and electric departments on feature film and television sets. After the training NOVAC will track and work with applicants to help them find work on local film and television productions.

SAFTEY & UNION SUPPORT: Participants will also develop the safety skills required by large-scale productions. Instructors will include film industry veterans and union department heads working locally and abroad. Participation in this course will also count towards 2 of the “30-days-on-set” required for entry into the trade union, IATSE Local 478.

DO YOU QUALIFY: Any resident of the City of New Orleans or Jefferson Parish is eligible to apply for the program produced by NOVAC and sponsored by the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Economy, Film New Orleans and Film Jefferson. The Ready Set Film: Intro to Film Trades Training will be open to 40 participants

Pathetic. It's not bad enough that State governments are handing over bribe money and giving into Corporate blackmail with "Tax incentives," now IATSE is cooperating in undermining the established IATSE membership by trying to giftwrap industry jobs to inexperienced locals from Bum**(obscenity removed)**, USA.

There are plenty of experienced, skilled, and available IATSE members who already live in Southern California where all the film infrastructure already is. IATSE should be working hard to get the jobs BACK where they belong instead of undermining its own established experienced membership.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Problem is, aren't you just appealing for job protectionism? I've heard a lot of people claiming that isn't the point of a union (and it should not be).

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Brian decrees.....all movies to made in LA, NO EXCEPTIONS!

R,

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Brian decrees.....all movies to made in LA, NO EXCEPTIONS!

R,

Where's my "Tax Incentive" to pack up all my worldly belongings and move to an entirely new city in hopes that the payola keeps the jobs in that town?

The point is, IATSE is participating in undermining its own established membership by giving away qualifying hours to anybody off the street who shows up for a class. I got zero qualifying hours for the years of low-budget work I did to learn how to do the job, yet now getting into the Union is gift-wrapped to any newcomer just because the Louisiana State Government bribes Corporations more than anyone else does or can? Talk about total surrender to Fascism.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Are you sure credits = Fascism?

R,

#6 Cory Lonas

Cory Lonas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NYC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

And here I am thinking about how daunting of a task it is to to get into the local 52 here in NY. I should really just move to Louisiana. I wish there was a trade course here in NY like the one you posted(especially for free!). If I want to even think about the union I have to spend 500 dollars in training courses before I can even hand my resume into the union office.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

FJS International, LLC