Photo

Beginner dslr set up for event coverage (bar mitzva/wedding)

dslr rig event

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Kennedy

Anthony Kennedy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I'm wondering what the cheapest set up would be for event coverage?

I have dslr and lenses, but it is more in terms of rig, lighting and sound recording equipment (something that can be operated by one person). The camera provided is a 60D. Lighting and rig are most important.

#2 Victor Nhat Nguyen

Victor Nhat Nguyen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

No, sound is most important. Also, when you're shooting events it is advisable that you have at least 2 person (including you), but a 3 man crew is the best. The problems with rigs and lighting fixtures is that they're too finicky and it's one more thing that you have to carry around.

For sound, I would get a recorder (tascam, or zoom) to record out of the soundboard. wireless mic are also important especially for weddings. I'm wishing to get into sound more somewhere in the future.

I usually use tripod, monopod and handheld steadicam the most. One of my friend try to use a rig for a quince and he found it too finicky trying to switch to a slider.

For lighting, you only need it if the reception lighting is too low. Small LED lights are really useful for events. Just know that shootings events is much much different than shooting a movie.

#3 Anthony Kennedy

Anthony Kennedy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

No, sound is most important. Also, when you're shooting events it is advisable that you have at least 2 person (including you), but a 3 man crew is the best. The problems with rigs and lighting fixtures is that they're too finicky and it's one more thing that you have to carry around.

For sound, I would get a recorder (tascam, or zoom) to record out of the soundboard. wireless mic are also important especially for weddings. I'm wishing to get into sound more somewhere in the future.

I usually use tripod, monopod and handheld steadicam the most. One of my friend try to use a rig for a quince and he found it too finicky trying to switch to a slider.

For lighting, you only need it if the reception lighting is too low. Small LED lights are really useful for events. Just know that shootings events is much much different than shooting a movie.

Thanks, what small LED lights are you referring to?

#4 Victor Nhat Nguyen

Victor Nhat Nguyen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

we use Z96 but ask Em over at Cheesycam.com . He will recommend you some good ones.

#5 Anthony Kennedy

Anthony Kennedy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

we use Z96 but ask Em over at Cheesycam.com . He will recommend you some good ones.

Thanks!

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

The Slider

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly