2 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Here goes nothing: A short I photographed a few years ago is now online on vimeo, , and - while I'll be the first to admit that it's not in the same league as "Coward," I'd love for folks to take a look. "Job Interviewing ..." was a VERY challenging low budget shoot, during which we covered 24 script pages in 3 days. We shot on a Panasonic Varicam, which I quite liked at the time due to it's soft color palette, and it's availability from a friendly vendor. Our dolly consisted of my skateboard wheels and plywood platform, with the sticks on top. The lighting package including 2 small kino's, 2 medium kino's, 2 large kino's, and maybe tweenie or inkie or two. I did a pre-light by myself, hanging most of the kino's from the drop ceiling in standard key-light, back-light positions for the coverage at the desk. My recommendation for anyone considering doing this is to get a helper!

The two biggest stumbling blocks were the window behind the desk, which faces west. I didn't have the crew or the gear to do any kind of control on it, and the schedule forced me to shoot it when it looked its worst. Also, with the budget to pick only one flavor of minus green, I chose full, and the result is a little painful.

It's sounds terrible, so why I am I bothering? I'd say, with a lot of constraints, and I did the best I could to get the script in the can, in a reasonable amount of time so the crew wouldn't walk away, with correct continuity, decent lighting, and maybe a tiny bit of a "look."

Thanks if you can take a look!

#2 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Here goes nothing: A short I photographed a few years ago is now online on vimeo, , and - while I'll be the first to admit that it's not in the same league as "Coward," I'd love for folks to take a look. "Job Interviewing ..." was a VERY challenging low budget shoot, during which we covered 24 script pages in 3 days. We shot on a Panasonic Varicam, which I quite liked at the time due to it's soft color palette, and it's availability from a friendly vendor. Our dolly consisted of my skateboard wheels and plywood platform, with the sticks on top. The lighting package including 2 small kino's, 2 medium kino's, 2 large kino's, and maybe tweenie or inkie or two. I did a pre-light by myself, hanging most of the kino's from the drop ceiling in standard key-light, back-light positions for the coverage at the desk. My recommendation for anyone considering doing this is to get a helper!

The two biggest stumbling blocks were the window behind the desk, which faces west. I didn't have the crew or the gear to do any kind of control on it, and the schedule forced me to shoot it when it looked its worst. Also, with the budget to pick only one flavor of minus green, I chose full, and the result is a little painful.

It's sounds terrible, so why I am I bothering? I'd say, with a lot of constraints, and I did the best I could to get the script in the can, in a reasonable amount of time so the crew wouldn't walk away, with correct continuity, decent lighting, and maybe a tiny bit of a "look."

Thanks if you can take a look!

It's not terrible at all.

To tell the truth, I got so involved in the story, I didn't actually take much notice of the cinematography!

I'll have to remember some of that when I go for my next job interview :D

As far as the general image quality goes, it looks pretty much like any mid-range TV show, not obviously low-budget.

There are some problems with DR, but I've seen worse on productions that probably cost a lot more.

Admittedly it's all shot in the one office, which helps a lot, but part of the craft is knowing when to avoid things that won't work.

#3 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

"To tell the truth, I got so involved in the story, I didn't actually take much notice of the cinematography!"

That's the best compliment I can get! Thanks, for looking and responding.

The Slider

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC