Photo

North by Northwest, The ORIGINAL Bond Movie?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

I JUST watched Hitchcock's "North By Northwest gain. NOW, I had see the film many times before but JUST before I tuned it to TCM, I read Ian Fleming had based James Bond on Cary Grant. THEN I watched he film and it was like finding King Salomon's mines. I SUDDENLY realizes North By Northwest was a BOND FILM!! The Characters were the same, I mean take away the the advertising executive  aspect and everything else falls into place!! I mean could there be a BETTER Bond than Cary Grant,? With, of course, ALL due respect to Sean Connery Grant IS the perfect Bond except by 1964, he was 60 and too old to play James Bond but maybe he DID play Bond in 1959.  In contrast, could there be a better Bond  villain than James Mason or a more psycho toady henchman than Martin Landau? It takes place during the cold war using a statue filled with microfilm and the crop duster with a machine gun in the middle of nowhere, PURE Bond!! AND what better Bond girl than Eva Marie Saint??!!. The climactic epic battle set on the exotic location of Mount Rushmore and Van Damm's super cool bad guy mountain hide away with the secret clandestine landing strip...Can you GET any more Bond??!! It's almost unmistakeable! The similarities go on and on, could the professor be any more M? The only thing missing is Q and an Aston Martin equipped with an ejection seat and rocket launchers!! The humor is there, the MUSIC is even similar especially during the cabin sequence! I suppose there could be an argument made that "Notorious" is the absolutely earliest Bond picture but for my money it was just a rough prototype. North By Northwest is truly the first Bond movie. I do have to say I did find similarities between North By Northwest and Hitchcock's Saboteur as well but the plot is not a Bond plot so again there are just elements that might have later found the way into future Bond films.  What do you think?

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 17 February 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

There are a few scenes in "North by Northwest" that have ended up in Bond films. One example is the crop plane, thi s idea was used in "From Russia With Love".

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

OP, presumably you're aware that Cary Grant was passed over, not on grounds of age, but because he wouldn't sign to a multi-picture deal?

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I was unaware of that. What a shame! Grant would have been the ULTIMATE Bond!!

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

BTW, I HOPE this was not the 3rd definition on the first entry that came up when I goggled it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=op  :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 17 February 2013 - 11:26 PM.

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine