Evan Andrew John Prosofsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Hi!

Shooting a music video on super8 of all things this coming week with a canon 1014 xls. The video needs to be finished at 16x9 and it is very important to me that I'm able to compose my shots in that ratio as we're shooting. Other than "visualizing", is there a way to actually mark the viewfinder somehow? What does everyone usually do when transferring to widescreen?

Perplexed. Looking forward to hearing your responses, thankyou!!

Evan

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

call pro8mm, you can rent cameras from them ( the very same you are using), that have 16:9 frame lines. Short of that, you might want to see if a camera shop can mark the viewfinder for you. I just eye ball it and it always works out, never had an issue where I couldn't re-frame to suit tastes. Duall, spectra come to mind for other shops.

#3 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

call pro8mm, you can rent cameras from them ( the very same you are using), that have 16:9 frame lines. Short of that, you might want to see if a camera shop can mark the viewfinder for you. I just eye ball it and it always works out, never had an issue where I couldn't re-frame to suit tastes. Duall, spectra come to mind for other shops.

Not only with Pro8mm's 1014 XL-s have the frame lines, it will also have a wider gate and re-aligned optics, much like Super16.  So, rather than zooming in on 4:3 and already very small surface area of film, you will be only slightly zooming/cropping.

See here:

Say what you want about Pro8mm (many on this forum do).  But, they've pretty much got the market corned for widened gate/16x9 Super 8.  Spectra actually refers to the format as "oddball" and their telecine machines are not capable of scanning it.  So, they won't help much if you do shoot in Max8 or Super Duper 8 as it was originally named.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

You're in Canada? Check out www.Framediscreet.com

#5 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Please, for the sake of your sanity, avoid Pro8. Just do a search on pro8mm in the forum and you will see why. 

Edited by Matt Stevens, 26 February 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Please, for the sake of your sanity, avoid Pro8. Just do a search on pro8mm in the forum and you will see why. 

I'm telling you Matt, if you ask to deal with Phil directly, things always go smoothly.  

The trick is to actually get that to happen.  Sadly, there just doesn't seem to be anyone else doing the "Max8"/"Super Duper 8" thing and it really does make a huge difference if you want 16x9 framing.  Super 8 is grainy enough.  Zooming into a 4x3 frame makes it almost unbearable, especially with 500T.  Plus, even the most die-hard film fans will never give film more than a 300 lpmm resolving power.  That number is very high.  With a 6mm wide Super 8 frame, that's only 1800 lines.  So, your 1920 is wasted.  The more likely resolving power of 500T is probably 200-250 for possibly as low as 1200 lines.  You're just resolving more grain at that point.

With an almost 7mm wide frame you are pushing 2100 and probably at least 1500 lines, making the 1920 more reasonable.  It definitely looks WAY better.

Just widening the gate isn't enough with most cameras.  At a wide angle the frame will vignette on all the Canon's.  You really need to re-align the optics.

Anyway... just my 2 cents.

#7 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

It's not just transfers that can be a problem. It's their billing. They can charge you what they want and just claim you asked for it. I had to fight a bogus charge last month. They were so rude and nasty I was stunned and they flat out told me they don't care if they lose my business. Nice. 

They are miserable mother....  Well, let me just stop or I'll go on a rant.

Edited by Matt Stevens, 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#8 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

You're in Canada? Check out www.Framediscreet.com

Here are their examples

http://framediscreet...uper-8-samples/

Possibly do rent out of this 1014xls?

#9 Evan Andrew John Prosofsky

Evan Andrew John Prosofsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Cool thanks everybody!

#10 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director
  • The Northlands of Sweden

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

I shoot with a Canon 1014XL-S that has a widened gate and get a full res 16:9 scan - so the very minor crop is done during the scan and therefore I get an effective full 16:9 resolution transfer - the grain is veru slightly englarged but the improved resolution helps to detract from that!

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

Opal

Abel Cine