9 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

This looks interesting: http://Digital Super 8 Cartridge.  Does anyone know if it's real?

Edited by Glenn Brady, 25 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

That's an invalid URL. The hyperlink points to this thread.

#3 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes, I know.  I tried to embed the link (http://sungjanglabor...uper8-cartridge) a couple of times and then was prevented by this site from editing my post further to correct the error.  You can Google 'Digital Super 8 Cartridge' and it'll appear on a page of Sung Jang Laboratory, Chicago. 

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1643 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

It's a "concept" and not original one as we've discussed this many times over the years on various film boards (not to be a downer).

Don't really see the need; it's not like the lenses on these cameras are so amazing that they are worth saving (with a few exceptions perhaps). It would turn some heads and look cool, but other than that we love Super 8 because it's film.

It made some sense on an Arri SR where companies had tons of money invested in that ecosystem with lenses and hardware and P+S Technic did that exact thing; without much success in sales.

ON THE OTHER HAND, a Super 8 cartridge/camera that records digital audio to a chip within the cartridge then is synced up in processing/transfer would be very useful and cool. It would take Kodak backing such a solution probably...it could work with the sound cameras.

#5 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

DS8 is a lame confusing name.

It seems the designer doesn't know how things work. The cartridge needs a sensor which protrudes a bit from the plate as its sensormatrix needs to be at the focal plane. Not just a black hole

The sensor must register when the shutter is open. Not just randomly when the spindle is rotating or the claw is about to move :)

Sound registration is nice be then should be taken from the recording head. But then you get old fashioned S8 camera sound with a lot of rumble, noises etcetra. And you would need a sound camera with a working soundpart.

The only nice idea is to have a USB stick in a S8 cartridge. That will raise some interest from onlookers...

#6 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Here is somebody working the same idea. The unfortunate thing is he only updates the website every 7 years and doesn't respond to questions. Simple or not.

http://movie.project...X_Hcitybut2.jpg

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3289 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

It's a "concept" and not original one as we've discussed this many times over the years on various film boards (not to be a downer).

Don't really see the need; it's not like the lenses on these cameras are so amazing that they are worth saving (with a few exceptions perhaps). It would turn some heads and look cool, but other than that we love Super 8 because it's film.

It made some sense on an Arri SR where companies had tons of money invested in that ecosystem with lenses and hardware and P+S Technic did that exact thing; without much success in sales.

ON THE OTHER HAND, a Super 8 cartridge/camera that records digital audio to a chip within the cartridge then is synced up in processing/transfer would be very useful and cool. It would take Kodak backing such a solution probably...it could work with the sound cameras.

Not necessarily a complete picture of the situation. Super-8 cameras generally have the most built in features of all motion picture cameras and being able to replicate them digitally would be a cool alternative, even though my first choice would still be super-8 film.

#8 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1643 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

... and being able to replicate them digitally would be a cool alternative, even though my first choice would still be super-8 film.

But why? I can't see anything at all gained by having a digital Super 8 cartridge. A regular consumer video camera would have many more functions than a digital Super 8 cartridge, be smaller and the footage would look much better.

I'd much rather have by Angenieux lens from my 4008 put onto a Blackmagic camera or new digital camera with a smaller sensor than basically buy a digital sensor for a Super 8 camera.

The point of Super 8 is the film, not the amazing quality of the camera or lenses.

#9 steve salem

steve salem

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

But why? I can't see anything at all gained by having a digital Super 8 cartridge...

...The point of Super 8 is the film, not the amazing quality of the camera or lenses.

Personally I would welcome a product like this.
Many of the characteristics of super 8 is a product of the lens. Not necessarily because they are superior lenses but each of them has it's own quirks and personality.

I'd be really curious to see how they deal with the shutter though. Since there would be no way to monitor the image on a product like this there would undoubtably be flicker or rolling shutter issues.

As far as "the point" of super 8 being film, I agree for the most part. But since reversal film has been whittled down to Tri-X,  the "true" super 8 experience has already died. Or at least will be dead when tri-x is killed.

Negative film and modern scanning techniques are NOT the true super 8 experience.
Now we need a 3rd party to process AND transfer the footage - that's daunting to me.

One of the reasons I invested in my own equipment for transferring was that most of the transfers I was paying for were hack. It's bad enough that I have to wait with white knuckles until my film comes back in the hopes that the lab didn't munch it up in some way. The expense for working with super 8 has gone through the roof.

Hopefully someone will step up and find a way to bring a color reversal back to the market. In the meantime I be getting the "vinatage looks" in post. It will save me thousands of dollars a year. Negative super 8 stocks just look like treated digital half the time anyway.

my .02

</RANT>

#10 Heikki Repo

Heikki Repo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Director
  • Finland

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Steve,

have you seen this http://www.cinematog...showtopic=58995 ?

Zylight

Cadrage Directors Viewfinder

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Cinelicious

Visual Products

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Lemo Connectors

Pro 8mm