Photo

Possibility of enlarging the Arri SR aperture?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roger Blaisse

Roger Blaisse

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a project that might be best described as a bit eccentric, but if anyone here can shed a bit of light on a few questions that would be very helpful.

I'm an Electrical Engineering student with a few friends in the film department and have found myself sucked into an interesting project to attempt to graft a 2.5K Digital Camera onto a 16mm film camera. So far in researching this I was hoping to use either an SR 1 or an NPR, but was uncertain of how far the camera aperture could be enlarged, assuming the gate has been removed, so I'm not worried about impinging on the film support structures. Also I'm not sure how much of this enlarged gate the viewfinder could cover. I'm currently looking at sensors that are 14mm wide which is a bit wider than S16mm, but was hoping that there might be a bit of wiggle room in the design of these cameras. 

I apologize if this is not the best forum for this topic, but it seems that there are quite a few of you who are very knowledgeable about the inner working of the Arri cameras and would appreciate the insight.

Thanks

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

The aperture is part of the gate, once it's removed you're left with a larger area bounded mainly by baffles. I'd say a 14mm wide sensor could fit in that gap. The mirror/shutter would still cover it.

The viewfinder should also just cover it, provided it's centred to the sensor. You'd need a custom ground glass made up though.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products