JayneAmaraRoss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Paris, France

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I am planning to shoot in a very isolated location, accessible only by foot (after a few hours of walking, and over uneven terrain).

The location is a small abandonned cottage in the North of England. There will be a working fireplace and the room should appear to be lit by this source, and a few candles only. 

I need your advice/experience on finding an appropriate way of lighting the scene without electricity. I have thought about battery-run torches & triple-wick candles, and push-processing.

I will be shooting on super 8 tri-x film (200 ISO) with a 4008 beaulieu camera and Schneider 6-66mm lens (max aperture: 1.8).

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks a-million,

Jayne

#2 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Shoot a faster film with lower contrast. That lighting sounds tricky (but doable) for Vision 500T. Tri-X is a PAIN to light correctly in low light. It's only got 1-1/2 stops of lattitude total. (3/4 up, 3/4 down)

If you want B&W, turn the saturation to 0 in post. Unless your workflow has you editing on film, you'll save yourself a ton of headaches down the line.

Other advice would be to make sure you've got a reflector in the fireplace. No need to waste any light. If you can dress the set, large mirrors or brass shields on stands to bounce light might help some.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20251 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Why not get a hand-carryable Honda generator? They are only 30 lbs.

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3397 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Tri-X is a PAIN to light correctly in low light. It's only got 1-1/2 stops of lattitude total. (3/4 up, 3/4 down)

Are you sure this is correct? A film with only 1 1/2 stops of latitude would be literally black & white!

#5 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yeah, my understanding is that it's closer to 3 stops.  Even double-x is sadly only about 6.  That's part of why "The Artist" was actually shot on color film and then graded to B&W.  It was just so much more versatile.  

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2801 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Are you sure this is correct? A film with only 1 1/2 stops of latitude would be literally black & white!

Latitude, not dynamic range.

#7 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Shoot 200t and 500t and go B&W in post. You won't be risking disaster that way. 

#8 Bill Rodgers

Bill Rodgers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Director
  • London & Sussex UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I LOVE Tri-X!

I can see why people are sensibly advising you to shoot on Vision stock but please don't shoot colour just to accommodate one low lighting set-up. It simply won't look the same and the properties of Tri-X are virtually magical to my eyes.

Just buy a lot of cheap portable flicker-free LED lights* and batteries off of eBay plus use two or three reflectors add a few more candles in shot and shoot it all on Tri-X.

* Try shooting a test cartridge at home with the lights beforehand, you will get a good idea of what is actually achievable then.

#9 Josh Gladstone

Josh Gladstone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Editor
  • Hollywood

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've been shooting nothing but tri-x at sxsw this week. Definitely have a few underexposed night exteriors. Should be fine I think, but I'll let you know after I get everything processed. Shooting a test roll with various lighting conditions is really the best advice.

#10 JayneAmaraRoss

JayneAmaraRoss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Paris, France

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Wow, thanks guys for all your useful replies!  :)

I LOVE TRI-X TOO Bill!!! What a beautiful stock! I have been shooting it and processing it by hand for years. 

What kind of an autonomy can I expect from LED lights with portable batteries?

How far would you guys push-process if that was my only solution?

#11 Jeremy Cavanagh

Jeremy Cavanagh
  • Sustaining Members
  • 130 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Jayne,

I see someone else here has also suggested LED lights - I guess you got my post at film labs on hiring the LED lights of the sort that go on the top of ENG cameras for news work - the rectangular ones that use an array of LEDs so its a spread light.

These are light, flat and retangular so could lend themselves to being taped to something handy or even hand held rather than needing a tripod or stand and lifting the overall amount of light.

I would've thought it would be straightforward to hire one of two of them with a battery or two and charger or perhaps I'm a bit out of touch. I have to confess I don't know how long one battery would last operating a couple of these so perhaps two or three batteries would be better - depends on how else much you are carrying in to the location.

#12 Bill Rodgers

Bill Rodgers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Director
  • London & Sussex UK

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Thanks to the exploding DSLR market there are now loads of portable LED lights that are cheaply available on-line.

In all honesty I would try to avoid pushing Tri-X more than a stop and concentrate on using portable lighting.

I strongly advise experimenting with a few examples and examining the end results.

They don't cost a fortune and you can always use them again.

#13 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director
  • The Northlands of Sweden

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Pushing reversal film is not advisable unless you have seen the results and are happy with them. As I understand it, the Beaulieu cameras are good in low light even with f1,8 beinmg the widest aperture. Here is a film shot on a 5008 with Ekatchrome 64T in low light - look at the later scenes outdoors - I think they only had hand held lights - but not really sure.

However I am not that experienced with using Beaulieu cameras myself, but Tri-X is good for medium low light situations and not very good in real low light situations.

I agree that you shoudl do some tests - some pushed and some with LED portalamps and see what results you get and see if YOU are happy with the results.

#14 JayneAmaraRoss

JayneAmaraRoss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Paris, France

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for all these really helpful answers, after thought I think I will go with LED lights, candles, reflectors and a little hope ;-)!

All the best, and thank you again,

Jayne

#15 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Brave woman. I admire you. I shot this straight8 under insane conditions over one long night in NYC's subways. It all came out, but I think even underground I had more light than you will have. 

Edited by Matt Stevens, 13 March 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#16 Rudy Velez Jr

Rudy Velez Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Jayne you could also get a light gun on ebay, these things work wonders and if you get two or even three, then your got ghetto hollywood lighting lol, the LEDs are cool I just used one 2 days ago however my friends were shooting DSLR. Whats cool about the LED light kit I used was the fact the there were 2 cranks for hot and cold lighting on the side, it got me thinking about LED lighting and I am def gonna buy one of those and try to mix it up with my light guns. 

old super 8 light guns work wonders and charms and so do the LEDs ( the newer little brother to the old school light guns)

I say if you have the bread use em both if your got budget go straight for the LED lights, if you got time and a budget for the super8 light guns on eBay

Sidenote: as a fellow new yorker super 8 enthusiast Matt, that is AWESOME! shooting in the subway can be disastrous, at least for me, now I know, put it manual and keep it wide at 2, but yeah Tri-X is awesome

Question: was there ever like a superior b&w film stock for super 8 like Eastman Double for 16mm and 35mm.. What was Plus X?

Does Fuji have a b&w 8mm stock?

Edited by Rudy Velez Jr, 13 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#17 JayneAmaraRoss

JayneAmaraRoss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Paris, France

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Rudy, thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't thought of that - I will check out those old super 8 guns on ebay now.

A friend of mine has just suggested gasoline lamps... like this : http://www.auvieuxca...ne-f1-lite.html another avenue to explore!

Thanks for the video Matt, it looks great!!!

Here's my contribution (tri-x beaulieu 5008 and canon 814 - then hand-processed) with various lighting situations:

#18 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Jayne, I now want to see The Freemartin Calf. That trailer is sensational. Well done! 

#19 Rudy Velez Jr

Rudy Velez Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

gasoline lamps are intriguing..I wonder how much light those bad boys throw out? Has anyone else on here EVER use one?

#20 JayneAmaraRoss

JayneAmaraRoss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Paris, France

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Yes, I would definitely be interested if someone had any experience with these! 

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam