Photo

Shooting Video Near Large Magnets (MRI Machine)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johannes Ikovit

Johannes Ikovit

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Has anyone shot video near large magnets such as MRI Machines? I have to shoot in and MRI room and the hospital mentioned there might be problems with the camera. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I assume you're aware (or will forcibly be made aware, on arrival) of the issues with the truly gigantic magnetic field of the thing ripping the camera out of your hands and smashing it to a thousand thousand very expensive pieces? That's the main problem I'd be concerned with.

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Has anyone shot video near large magnets such as MRI Machines? I have to shoot in and MRI room and the hospital mentioned there might be problems with the camera. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It used to be a problem with tube cameras and CRT-type viewfinders. Anything involving an operating MRI machine had to be shot on film, since the strong magnetic field completely wrecked the camera registration.

As far as I know, as long as you keep more than ten feet away, the fields aren't strong enough to affect videotape.

But currently, any modern CMOS or CCD camera with an LCD monitor and using flash memory should have no problems at all, apart from it getting snatched out of your hand if you get too close. However modern tapeless cameras don't tend to have a lot of iron in them any more, so that's probably not an issue either 

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post