#1 Jia Cheng Tan

Jia Cheng Tan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

Okay this sounds kind of personal, but I'd like to know.

What is the first film you shoot and direct after you just call yourself a director/filmmaker? 

Do you write your own script, if you do what aspects of drama did you include? Do you start out well? Who helped? Or were you a one-man crew?

No right or wrong answers. Just curious. And if anyone nostalgic enough to tell me please do :]

Much appreciated.

#2 Pekin Azer

Pekin Azer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director
  • İstanbul

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi, i don't know if commercials count, but my first directing was for an advert film. İ did modify the script a lot. The actual script was for one guy to just say a few words. But, i placed 3 of the same guy and came up with this... İ

t's not English..... This was shot with HVX200E in 2008.

Regards,

Pekin

#3 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 771 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

When you're first stating you do it all; write, direct, shoot, edit/post poduction.  I tried doing a series of martial arts videos for someone I thought i knew for over ten years, but the guy flaked, and I really had to make stuff up on the fly.  The rest of my previous career was ADing and Stage Managing after that, therefore I don't call myself a director.  

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5929 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

The first thing I shot was a project for my Us history class freshman yr in highschool. It was myself and 2 other guys filming some people's letters home from Vietnam. Basically just talking about the long periods of doing nothing, then the battles. Shot it on a little RCA VHS camera and then we edited it with 2 VCRs. the one VCR had stereo inputs so we could run in a keyboard for some music and I think we used some footage from Apocalypse Now to show the battle scenes.

After that I did a lot of playing with fish-tanks and ink, cloud tanks, ect just playing around with the camera. I think I may even still have the tape somewhere of that first, really bad, film.

Though I didn't start calling myself anything until very recently, though I've been getting paid for a bit. Even now, I tend to qualify that "well that's what I list on my tax returns."

K5600 Lighting

Pro 8mm

Robert Starling

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Lemo Connectors

rebotnix Technologies

Cinelicious

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Cool Lights

System Associates