2 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi folks;

I got into Vegas yesterday after a delightful twenty-hour intensive international airport exploration experience, although it's worth it, as it's 81 degrees here and about four at home. So, that's OK.

I'm going to try and post a couple of times a day about whatever's most interesting - the coded-aperture thing I posted earlier is hopefully an example. The show floor itself doesn't open until Monday, but there's already rumblings that Panasonic have "something" to show this year and we should know by the end of tomorrow. If "something" is not a 4K cinema camera, I'm sure we'll all be disappointed. Prepare, therefore, for disappointment, as Panasonic's sensitivity to this sort of widely-held market desire is not, notoriously, that great. On the other hand, I'm sure F65 is more a prestige project than a moneymaker for Sony, so who can blame Panasonic for not jumping on the bandwagon.

So, I'm not expecting anything absolutely world-shaking. Perhaps this is partly due to my increasing realisation that another half-stop of dynamic range is not going to revolutionise photography, but I think it's mainly down to the fact that the news conference schedule is full of "second screen" and "distributed networking" which is, on current evidence, as dull as it sounds. Most of this stuff is a fashionable revamp of six-year-old tech, and fairly dull software-based tech at that.

Tomorrow is all press conferences, so in the meantime, please enjoy as a consolation prize this absurdly over-dutched shot of a signboard.

IMAG1059.jpg

Exhibits? Here? No!

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the updates, Phil!

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19764 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'll be there Monday & Tuesday and will be on an ASC panel discussion on Monday, 11:45AM, Rm. S220.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider