• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

This one's really a post thing, but it gives me an opportunity to namedrop Steve Wozniak, cofounder of Apple, who spoke at an event an hour or so ago:

IMAG1062.jpg

Name-drops aside, this will mainly be of interest to people who build, or have the need to build, really seriously high-powered edit stations. FusionIO are a company mainly famous for making flash storage configured not as a SATA disk, but as a directly attached PCI device, with attendant benefits to bandwidth and latency. Their new announcement is this, a really big (1.6TB), really fast (1.4GB/sec read, 1.1GB/sec write) and really, really, really low latency (42µs) flash device:

IMAG1064.jpg

Not much of a looker, sadly.

While it would be possible to approximate this using conventional solid-state disks and a RAID controller, you wouldn't get quite the same performance with regard to latency, given the presence of a lot of individual drive controllers. FusionIO also offer an SDK that allows developers to use the device more like RAM, as opposed to like storage, an approach which could have application in all kinds of very bandwidth-intensive post workflows where a lot of caching goes on.

Whether all this matters enough to you to pay the prices depends entirely on what you're interested in doing. No price was released for the 1.6TB version, but it's supposed to cost less per gigabyte than the existing 420GB model which is about US$2000. That's not an awfully huge markup compared to the SSD-RAID approach, so I'm moderately positive about this.

Sony's press conference is this afternoon, so for my next trick, I may even be able to talk about - what's the subject here - oh yes, cinematography. But they'll probably just talk about F55 and showcase some vivid orange preacher type who's installed an enormous Sony studio camera system in his church, like they usually do...

P

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets