#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Though this was meant for ACs and grips, etc. as a director, I found it inspirational. I feel it applies to everyone that works on set:

The Best Piece of Advice I Could Ever Give

If I had one answer for "How to be a great crew member," this would be it. 

Hyperbole has never been a practice of mine, so when I say this is the best piece of advice I could ever give, I mean it.

It's something that dictates almost every action I take on set and has influenced the tips and tricks I share on The Black and Blue every time I post an article.

And when I finally tell you what it is, I'm sure you're going to be frustrated.

Why? Because it's something that's hard to teach and even harder to learn. It's not even groundbreaking or revelatory. In fact, I bet you already know what it is -- even if you don't realize it.

That advice is this:

Be insanely resourceful.

Every setup, every shot, every motion, action, minute, and second you have will rely on some part of you finding creative solutions to whatever task you have.

It can be as simple as throwing a Sharpie on the ground for a mark or as complex as reconfiguring a camera rig to fit a unique situation.

Part of the reason working in film is great is because each project, each scene, each day is different. And so you should expect the obstacles in your way to be different as well.

At first they will seem intimidating and you may have to ask for help or spend more time than you'd like to figure out an answer.

But slowly you'll start to see patterns and dip into your repertoire and reveal inventive ways to get around these hurdles.

I wish I could give you a step-by-step for this, but resourcefulness is not as simple as a bullet-point list.

The scenarios we find ourselves in on set are so circumstantial, so unique, that resourcefulness is indispensable.

And if you can be insanely resourceful, you'll be indispensable as well.

Best regards,
Evan

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC