• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

This is just a quick one before I crash out for the day - NHK ran a simple demo of their ultra HD (8K, call it what you will) radio link.

Here's what it looked like, although you'll have to take my word for the sheer coruscating resolution:

IMAG1102.jpg

Achieving this over the air is necessarily a bit complicated given the enormous amounts of data involved, and involves a couple of adjacent radio channels with further multiplexing via both horizontal and vertical polarisation. Here's the receiver stack:

IMAG1104.jpg

Personally I'm not entirely convinced of the real practical need for 8K under almost any circumstances - perhaps as a precursor production format to produce very high quality 4K masters. Also, we've seen companies like Canon discuss the idea of shooting sports with high-res chips in order to later use the extra information to produce enlargements of crucial picture areas.

Anyway, it's nice to see that it can be done. In fact, it's just nice to see, as it is, obviously, a very unusually sharp, clean image.

P

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

It appears to be the same picture twice Phil!

I hope you managed to catch up on your sleep a little!!! :)

I'd love to see this working! I'd love to also see a side by side with 4k to see if I could tell the difference! ;)

I think this stuff is great tho, I get the impression it is really pushing the boundaries of what technology can do right now and I think that is a good thing! 8k really does seem to be the outer limits right now.

Freya

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Oops, my bad. Fixed,

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

These kind of resolutions will easily find use in live performance and advertising ...

I've been working on a (huge) show at the moment - curved screen, 22m 'circumference' (about 45deg of arc) about 9m tall - a cursory count of pixels on a smaller area and extrapolation gave just under HD res...  Even at what I'd consider an equivalent 'normal' viewing distance you could see the pixels (having a relatively low er, what do you call it (?) -> "actual illuminated pixel vs. surrounding infrastructure nothingness ratio" didn't help, I guess).

Thing is the system is modular - with enough power outlets it could be stretched to nK resolution ...

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

having a relatively low er, what do you call it (?) -> "actual illuminated pixel vs. surrounding infrastructure nothingness ratio" didn't help, I guess

"Fill factor", traditionally. Applies to both displays and sensors.

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

CineTape

Glidecam

CineLab

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post