• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

This one's for the news camerapeople among us.

For the sake of disclosure, I just enjoyed a very acceptable chicken lunch, with as much coca-cola as I could drink, at the expense of the company. Please be assured that my favor cannot be purchased with soft drinks.

Among other things, they've got what's a really super-cute revision to the GY-HM650 that they're calling 2.0. Most arrestingly, there's now an option to plug a 4G wireless dongle with a big "VERIZON" logo on it into the back of the camera, and either stream live images or dump files to a remote location. It's not exactly earthshattering, but I thought it was a good enough new use of cellphone tech to merit a mention here.

I'll steal one of the press shots for this, as my attempts to snap it in very poor restaurant lighting led to nothing but failure.

jvc_gy_hm650_20.jpg

They're upfront about the fact that it's not going to replace sat trucks immediately or completely, and that current improvements in cellphone infrastructure will need to be widely rolled out before it works really well. But I thought it was cute enough to post about right now. It works on wifi too, and I wonder how long it'll be before we start to see wireless networks on a normal film set too.

P

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine