No replies to this topic

#1 Mathew Rudenberg

Mathew Rudenberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

So, I'm lighting a 40x20 greenscreen coved into a 20 foot floor, and I'm looking for thoughts/suggestions.

The stage doesn't have a cyc so I'm hanging a 40x20 rag, coving it at the bottom (18' high ceilings) and painting 20x40' of floor. (open to suggestions on this rig but that's more a question for grip) 

The plan is for it to be a standing and lit greenscreen to visit over a 3 week shoot.

First question is digi vs chroma green. I lean chroma because there's less bounce back from the floor, and since chroma is darker it tends to naturally read at a stop under key (which i believe is optimal for keying) and I believe chroma is more common painted on built in cycs. However I am curious if any of you find it harder to key since the color is less saturated?

Then there is light selection and placement.

Super green kinos are nice, but I imagine problematic if the light falls on the actors. Also I don't want there to be a difference between the back wall and the floor. So I'm leaning towards a row of spacelight (prob 2k)

I should mention I'm shooting on the c300 - so the native iso is 850. 

The primary question I have is:

Is there an easy way to calculate the spacing between the spacelights, as well as the height/distance from the wall and the floor?

If I place them 16 feet up and 16 feet from the wall, what math I remember tells me they will be 22 feet away from the cove, which drops the intensity by more then a stop - do I have to fill in the cove with additional units?

Thanks in advance!

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc