DarrylPargeter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Electrician
  • London

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hey guys,

I'm lighting a film next week that is planing on using a young child (around 10) as a shadow monster kind of thing. For the effect to work I need to point a light at this kid that would most likely not be more then 5 feet away within a small bedroom, the cinematography what's me to use a 650 fesnal or a red head to get this effect.

I personal feel uncomferable with pointing light that would create a hard egde shadow of the child in that small of space. I've talked to the prodoucer about it but I fear it fallen on deaf ears.

I'm not really 100% sure what to do about it. I'm not that knowable on what the rules are with working with children of that age so Any help would be welcome.

#2 Oliver Hadlow Martin

Oliver Hadlow Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • UK

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well as long as it is not in his eyes or too close to burn him what is the problem? 

And depending on what's going on in the scene you probably definitely don't need to use a 650 even? At 5 feet a 650 Arri Fresnel in spot will give you f42 at @ 800 ISO/ 25fps (I worked out for the UK, I don't know where you are). If you are shooting your foreground subject at f4 this will be a 110:1 contrast ratio if my maths is correct......which works out as 7 stops. Pretty much destroying everything everywhere and any detail with it.

Best bet is to either take the Fresnel lens off the light (and then spot it) and use a dimmer (this will introduce a colour cast) or I would probably use the smallest light source you can find. Your biggest aid here will be getting distance between your subject and the light. You will need a decent distance between the boy and your small light source to create a sharp shadow.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

As long as the light is not close enough to burn them or not spotted into their eyes directly, you should be fine -- children work under 18K HMI's after all, or under the real sun.  You're not talking about a baby here, but a 10 year old.  Just turn off the light between takes or step them off.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Agreed. It's a pretty small unit all in all. Not something I'd want over my neck while i'm trying to sleep; but compared to some lights, pretty standard.

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider