Photo

New to super 8, please help me out with this camera.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kerran Saville

Kerran Saville

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi there everyone,

Today I was at a flea market and decided to purchase a Hanimex loadmatic MP200 I came across for $15. My problem is that , assuming this camera obviously needs batteries to run, i cannot seem to find the battery compartment anywhere! It is obviously a very simple camera as it does not have any fps ajustments or what seems to be focus.

All the buttons I can see on the camera are, a zoom slider on the left hand side, and open silder for where the film goes, a switch on the right hand side that says 'R - L & RL' which seems to lock the trigger, another zoom button on the top that Im getting is electrical zoom, and of course the trigger. Oh and the most unknown button to me is a small metal button on the top right of the camera.

Can anyone help me out as to the features and how to get this camera operational?

Pictures to follow.

http://imgur.com/a/z73p6

http://imgur.com/ghOeMzZ

Cheers,

Kerran

#2 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Dollars to donuts the batteries go in the handle. 

'R' is for run. "RL" is for Run-Lock. 

http://www.super8dat...mex_m200(1).htm

The small button, I'm guessing, is set into a thread, most likely 1/4-20. It's the bypass for the color correcting filter. You'd screw a screw in there, and it will force the built in color filter out of the way. 

It'll only auto-meter for 25/40 film, only. They designed around Kodachrome, which is no longer available. You might be able to use Vision3 50D. If it was me, though, I'd shop around for a better camera. One roll of film costs more than that camera did, and then there's processing and telecine.

#3 Miguel Loredo

Miguel Loredo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I agree. Unless that camera had some nostalgic value for you, you'd better find another model.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

If it was me, though, I'd shop around for a better camera. One roll of film costs more than that camera did, and then there's processing and telecine.

That is a new "development" to come out of Super-8 color being negative only now, the film, processing and transfer can't be justified in a beginner's camera anymore.  I assume BW reversal is still being made, no? In that instance, maybe a low cost camera might be fun to play around with.

#5 Kerran Saville

Kerran Saville

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I was actually just wanted some information about it as I do plan to sell it and hopefully make a little profit. I dont want to look like an idiot who is trying to sell a camera I know nothing about, as for the batteries the handle is unscrewable so I dont think they go in there.

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Try under the film compartment.

#7 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

That is a new "development" to come out of Super-8 color being negative only now, the film, processing and transfer can't be justified in a beginner's camera anymore.  I assume BW reversal is still being made, no? In that instance, maybe a low cost camera might be fun to play around with.

The camera isn't a 40/160. 40 only. No ISO 40 reversal stocks that I know of. Only Tri-X at ISO 200. The camera won't meter correctly.

#8 Kerran Saville

Kerran Saville

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

No latch or anything under the film compartment either, this is turning out to be a real mystery...

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies