Randy J Tomlinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hello,

I am considering to purchase a Sekonic 758 Cine Lightning Meter for use on my Moviecam Compact.

Lets say i am using a Kodak 250D film and i am out in the Field. I want to know how i use the Meter to set the correct Aperture on my Lense?

Do i have to set the ISO to 250 and then? I believe i also have to tell the Meter that i am shooting 24fps? I have no idea. OMG im so embarassed....

Please help me if you can. A simple step by step tutorial would be awesome. Thank you.

Randy

PS: I know i have to look thru the lightmeters "viewfinder" and press a button and there will be a readout. But i dont know how to set the meter correctly to show me a readout of like "2.8, 4, 5.6 etc.. (aperture on the lense)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

You set the ISO and the FPS, and if you're doing incident metering, stand where talent would stand, point lumisphere towards camera, and press button. it will read the proper stop to properly expose middle grey (and hence normally the rest of the scene)

You would look through it when you are spot metering, which won't give you the right exposure unless you're pointing the meter at something which is middle grey (like a grey card), otherwise it will give you a reading for the lens which'll render whatever you're shooting middle grey (so if you meter something white it will severly under-expose the scene, something black, over expose).

The meter should come with a manual which will detail all it's functions.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

The Slider

Visual Products

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery