Photo

How to create a rig of 150 incandescent hanging bulbs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver Hadlow Martin

Oliver Hadlow Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • UK

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

So I need to create a rig of 150'ish incandescent bulbs (15w) in 6 sets (25 bulbs a set) which can be manipulated via DMX on different channels.

I am not an electrician and all my work will be checked by one but my tutor said it would be something good to build and go an research on my own.

So I have 25 x 15w cables (1.5mm) in 2 meter lengths that need to go into some type of terminal block of some sort and come out as one cable that can be powered off of a UK 13A regular socket. 

At 15W x 25 that works out as 375watts per block. But in case I can't source 15W bulbs I will go with 25W which is 625watts at 2.717 amps.

My question is how do I go from 25 cables into one?

115404809170971078nYvaxCe3c.jpg

Something similar but with a lot more lights.

The wires into some type of screw terminal and then out to mains? With all proper neutral and earth in place. How would I got about this?

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a140b9bc3

Don't know how big they go but you can gang them together to get your 25 then fasten them to a board or whatever.

#3 Oliver Hadlow Martin

Oliver Hadlow Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • UK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes those look exactly like something I need. Time saving and cheapish too! Thanks.

So just rig these thing in a radial circuit like a regular house hold? I'm assuming that should work?

Any electricians here? lol

[block

#4 Leonardo Brocato

Leonardo Brocato
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Rome Italy

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Here i am,

i've done a thousand of this blocks of bulbs, it's very boring but easy. you have phase cable and neutral one, don't mess with colors because goes boooom! :D
you want the cable of every bulb to the main connector? if you use a dimmer channel for every block you can connect several bulb on a single cable (in-out) so you will have only 2 cables for block (12)
then go to a shop and buy a thing i really don't know how is called in english because i'm italian, it's a screw multi connector of different size. you put all the 6 same color phase wire in one and the neutral one in the other with another wire with the main plug or put 6 plugs one for every block in different dimmer channel.....

seem hard but i'ts very simple let me understand more: 6 blocks all to the same plug only one channel or separate?

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'd probably just do it with screw terminal blocks; you can make commoning bars for them reasonably easily with short offcuts of cable. Or you can probably find a commercial solution. The circuit itself isn't complicated.

P

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

CineTape

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc