#1 chris bennet

chris bennet

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi all, I know many of you may be falling out.  I know to many of you this is a absolutely ridiculous question.  It's a question.  My exp/knowledge in film production is limited.  I know the machine is bulky and possibly impractical to use on set.  What if you didn't have a sync recorder/Nagra and you had a Mag Recorder could you get sync-sound using it while filming?  Is it possible or impossible?

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

What kind of mag recorder? I assume it's a 1/4" audio recorder. We used to record sync sound on a 2 track Tandberg by recording the 50 Hz sync output from an Arri 16 BL on the second track. The transfer facility used that instead of the pilotone  sync used on a Nagra.

#3 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Wild filming and recording is feasible for short takes. I am experienced in synching wild shots as an editor, taking advantage of the possibilities of inserting and cutting back. In fact, you can keep an interview lip-synch for minutes if you can interrupt the picture now and then and or shift the sound once and again. It’s about half a frame’s or a frame’s length each time, removed or inserted in an imperceptible way. There’s a number of raffinated tricks.

#4 chris bennet

chris bennet

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the response.  I was referring to something like a Magnasync Moviola.  I think that's a transfer unit.  If you had that on-set could you record audio directly to it using a mixer.  A sync camera like a CP or Eclair would used to film.  Would this work to get sync sound?

Since the subject is sync sound, is there a way to match audio and film while using a non-sync camera with available film products - film, sound film, tape, etc? 

Thanks.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

As mentioned, you can get wild audio and pictures to match up, however, it's very time consuming. The other problem with non sync camera is noise, coffee grinder is the usual term used to describe them. 

What you planning to edit your film on?. From the description, you seem to be cutting on film.

#6 dan kessler

dan kessler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Chris, once upon a time, before Nagras ever existed, this was done routinely.

Camera and mag recorder need to be equipped with synchronous motors and fed from

the same AC power source.  As long as that is done, film and tape will be in sync.

#7 chris bennet

chris bennet

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thanks everybody.  Thanks Dan for providing that small but important bit of info.

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yeah it's POSSIBLE....It's also possible to put on a tux and drive a road grader to a wedding reception. :rolleyes:

#9 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2432 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

If you had access to a mag film recorder, you'd more than likely be able to get your hands on a Nagra or similar and shoot quartz sync, or pilotone, and do the transfer later. It would be a sight more convenient. These days I think the limiting factor would be finding a portable mag fim recorder, not the Nagra.

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport