• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

As this trend continues I seriously want to know what traditional broadcasters will offer in 10 years from now?  Besides news and sports, what unique content will they have?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-dhx-media.html

Producers will continue to find ways around them as the primary delivery system of narrative content, thanks to internet delivery.  Viewers will not be restricted by time slots, nor will they be subjected to advertising either.

A network exec may cancel a TV show, only to see it pop up as a streaming show that goes direct to its loyal fans. Thereby drawing away audiences from traditional broadcasters.

Canadian broadcasters will be particularly at risk since they produce next to nothing in terms or original content.  Their business model is based on re-broadcasting American shows in Canada for a tiny percentage of the shows actual production cost.  

Since "Can Con" rules do not apply the web, Canadian content may now also go the way of the Dodo as well.

Interesting times indeed!

R,

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

What, parasitic distributors who contribute nothing and don't help to produce new content are going the way of the dodo?

Diddums!

The reason I moan about the BBC so much is that they don't really do their jobs.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I thought the problem was that people didn't want to pay in order to watch programmes on line.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

I thought the problem was that people didn't want to pay in order to watch programmes on line.

People are paying 50 bucks or more per month for cable.  Netflix is only 8 bucks a month in the USA?

Now that I have Apple TV, I can watch tons of content, whenever I feel like it, commercial free.  All on my big screen.

I am thinking of canceling my cable, I never watch the broadcast stations anymore.  All the movies and TV shows I want can be accessed via NetFlix and iTunes, for a lot less money.

News? I get that via the web whenever I feel like it.  Does anyone watch broadcast news at a set time anymore?

This really spells doom for the traditional broadcast networks.  What are they going to counter this trend with? More crap reality TV and talk shows?

R,

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

It really depends how the broadcasters "transmit" their channels. In the UK the broadcasters use all methods, you can watch by traditional transmissions, cable and on the internet. A major problem has been the reduction in advertising revenue over the years, so broadcasters have to come up with productions that attract the audiences. I don't think most reality shows attract large audiences, at least the ABC1 types that advertisers seem to want.

There's a number of business models coming along to replace the decreasing DVD sales, but piracy is still an area of concern if you've invested in the production of a film.   

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

An interesting aside http://www.redsharkn...war-starts-here

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Also this http://www.redsharkn...g-paid-channels Although, it could be more interesting for programme stands than one offs.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 10 May 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

More interesting news out today.  Will this lead to more demand for content and most importantly higher licensing fees?

http://ca.finance.ya...-163657194.html

R,

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Visual Products