#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

I just saw the trailer for Pacific Rim........are you KIDDING ME?!!  Wasn't enduring "Godzilla" and the "Transformers" franchise punishment enough to assuage the wrath of the film gods for our cinematic transgressions of mindless plot and digital 3D or are we now to be relegated to a celluloid Hades where skyscraper sized robots run up real estate insurance rates in crowded urban areas? One other question, just exactly how HARD is this short bus riding 10 year old's popcorn burner wet dream gonna SUCK? I'm going with "2 dollar a pop hooker during Fleet Week" THAT'S how hard this 48 FPS abomination is gonna suck! What's even WORSE is they actually alluded to the "GoBots"in the trailer WHICH if some sick bastard studio executive is even CONTEMPLATING making into a Michael Bay style, big budget, animated, 3D, 2 hour, waste of time, should be summarily dragged from his office, doused into a vat of holy water while a priest preforms an exorcism rite as a Vatican cardinal watches for thick green smoke to blast out of his mouth expelling the hack filmmaker demonic presence that possessed him!

#2 Pat Murray

Pat Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

I haven't seen it mentioned, but this movie appears to be ripping off, without giving credit in the trailers/marketing, an Anime movie I watched for about 40 minutes (all I could handle) a month ago.  Exact same premise, aliens wipe out most of earth, the last hope of humanity is to build robots as big as the aliens and they are piloted by people who are cerably connected to the machines.  Just like in the trailers.  I didn't find the anime version very interesting, I'm not too hopeful for Pacific Rim.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

just exactly how HARD is this short bus riding 10 year old's popcorn burner wet dream gonna SUCK?

Like an open airlock on the international space station during a period of particularly low density in the interplanetary medium. But the Japanese chick in the spandex looks hot.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

And yet I would of crawled across a burning desert to direct it.  :rolleyes:

R,

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

As if you'd have had the slightest say or authority over anything...

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

That's kinda a good point, Richie. This will be a STUDIO PICTURE with the emphasis on studio. You wouldn't be able to wipe your a$$ without having the studio suits determining the thickness of the toilet tissue, the speed of the upstroke and the angle of your hand. I STILL find is utterly AMAZING Jackson was allowed to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He only had 6 credits when he got LOTR so if Del Toro drops out for any reason, maybe you got a shot. You'd be significantly richer but the experience might be somewhat less than satisfying. That being said, I'd probably crawl 20 miles over broken glass into an iodine lake to direct it as well. Even though I HATE the entire concept, I suppose I'd look at it as a stepping stone and move on. I'm not necessarily a whore but at that kind of money, I might bend my moral compass needle a little bit....but maybe not. I turned down funding from a guy who had investors ready to make a picture because he wanted massive changes to the script that would have turned a good action-adventure/horror pic into a mediocre family film. He also wanted to micro manage EVERYTHING! I'd rather gamble on shooting a no name cast, "No Budget" feature at my studio here than than let some clown screw with my picture.  FORTUNATELY, I have other people looking for the money that have the experience to find it, so we'll see what happens and keep the other script in our pocket just in case. In the mean time, if this picture does have a sexy Japanese girl wearing spandex in it, I may be forced to ditch my integrity and see the damn thing but it'll be on cable.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 27 May 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I can't find anything online about "Pacific Rim" being shot in 48 fps HFR...

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Oh, THAT was an assumption on my part, I thought ALL of these big budget, 3D, tent-pole monstrosities were now being sent out on the assembly line in the latest HD 48FPS cinematic fad. I'm surprised they don't come out with an options package and your choice of colors.....The Legendary Pictures' Pacific Rim GTX. now with FASTER CUTS!! They're already designing next year's model which I think is a little presumptuous on their part::

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

They'll probably just take this year's model, tell the EXACT same story but add a nonfunctional  hood scoop to the robots and bigger fake boobs to the Spandex chick. 

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 27 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

As if you'd have had the slightest say or authority over anything...

Would I still get to say action and cut?

R,

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I've known ADs do even that!

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

When I think of giant, 25 story robots who battle equally statured  aliens that live under the sea, I think "theatrical, operatic and romantic." Here is an article from Variety:

http://variety.com/2...ist-1200488753/

What words come to mind when you think of a summer tentpole? “Thrilling?” “Spectacular?” “Thunderous”? When director Guillermo del Toro talks about “Pacific Rim,” his favorite description is: “Operatic.”

SEE MORE: Summer Blockbusters: The F/X Story

“That was one of the first words I said to the entire team at ILM,” says del Toro. “I said, ‘This movie needs to be theatrical, operatic, romantic.’ We used a lot of words not usually associated with hightech blockbusters.”

To get that look on his giant-robots-vs.-giant-monsters epic, del Toro made an unusual request of his visual effects supervisor, cerebral Michigander John Knoll.

“We went for a very, very, very, very saturated color palette for the battle for Hong Kong,” del Toro says. “I kept asking John to tap into his inner Mexican and be able to saturate the greens and the purples and the pinks and the oranges.”

Del Toro also asked Knoll not to necessarily match the lighting from shot to shot.

“It’s pretty unorthodox to do that,” says del Toro, “but I think the results are really beautiful and very artistically free and powerful, not something you would associate a big sci-fi action movie.”

Del Toro wasn’t entirely kidding about Knoll getting in touch with his inner Mexican.

“I do think John can let his hair down,” says del Toro with a laugh.

Asked what he’s most excited about in the pic’s vfx, del Toro first mentions neither robots nor monsters but something subtler: water. Since the creatures emerge from the Pacific, much of the action is in the ocean or in Hong Kong’s Victoria Harbor.

“The water dynamics in this movie are technically beautiful, but also artistically incredibly expressive,” he says. “We agreed on making the water become almost another character. We would time the water very precisely. I’d say ‘Get out of the wave (on this frame).’ ”

Sometimes the helmer would use classic art, such as Hokusai’s engraving the Great Wave as a common point of reference. “I would say ‘Give me a Hokusai wave,’ ” says del Toro. “I think (the vfx team) did a tremendous job; we use the waves and weather in the movie very operatically.”

Del Toro decided after principal photography was complete to let “Pacific Rim” go 3D, then insisted that Industrial Light & Magic render the visual effects in stereo, eschewing post-conversion of the all-CG shots.

He asked Knoll to go “the full Ann Arbor” and be a strict disciplinarian as he oversaw the 3D visual effects shots. Del Toro was worried that exaggerated 3D would have the unintended side effect of making objects in the frame look small (the technical term is “hyperstereo”).

That would be disastrous for a picture determined to establish the huge scale of the monsters and robots. After all, its tagline is “Go big or go extinct.” It’s a credo the production team took to heart.

“John is pretty adept at keeping the 3D expressive but keeping the optics of it realistic,” explains del Toro, “That’s exactly why I thought it was imperative that he and ILM were in charge of creating the 3D aspects of the shots, because that’s what I wanted.”

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

You know what bothers me most about this is to paraphrase Jurassic Park, Del Toro spent so much time trying to figure out HOW to do this picture that they didn't take the time to to ask SHOULD they do it.

#13 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

And yet I would of crawled across a burning desert to direct it.  :rolleyes:

R,

C'mon; you ain't got no burning deserts in Canada. 

#14 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Ok then, a forrest in the middle of July when it's like really hot and buggy.

R,

#15 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

when it's like really hot and buggy.

R,

Ah! You mean like a Red Camera?  Boom-Tish...

I'm surprised you'd want to direct something that was shot on Epics.

I tell you, Steven Spielberg will be turning over in that early grave you're sending him to...

And what exactly is "Sparkle Motion" and explain why you should be committed to it (10 Marks)?

#16 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

And what exactly is "Sparkle Motion" and explain why you should be committed to it (10 Marks)?

I used to think that the bunny thing was silly but I'm starting to understand how they can be the stuff of nightmares...

Freya

#17 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Screw the bunny suit, I'd be up on the roof replacing the shingles with steel plate to keep airliner jet engines from crashing through my bedroom ceiling or at the very least keeping a heavy duty umbrella on my nightstand!

#18 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Good soundtrack that film

But yeh, is anyone actually going to answer Keiths question?   :lol:

#19 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Though originally the name of a dance group composed of little girls, it has grown to mean so much more. Sparkle Motion in a word, is AWESOME:

http://www.urbandict...=sparkle motion

It a state of mind you can ONLY achieve by committing to it's philosophy of rainbow and unicorn universal energy that flows through all of us. When one masters Sparkle Motion, the world is your oyster and all is right with the world. If fact EVERYTHING associated with sparkles are moved to a higher plan take fro example Sparkly Eyes technique (See U.S. Army, First Earth Battalion, Lt. Colonel Jim Channon)

http://arcturus.org/field_manual.pdf

which allows a one to mentally defuse aggressive situations when dealing with potentially hostile and possibly armed adversaries by training the eyes to sparkle when meeting new people for the first time and carrying baby lambs to set genitally on the ground thereby more easily put the potentially murderous, armed adversaries at their ease where upon one can more effectively subdue them stun guns. Having the ability to carry baby lambs and NOT be shot by murderous, armed adversaries alone should be worth 10 marks, come on!!

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 03 June 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#20 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Like this:

?

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport