#1 Isaac Brooks

Isaac Brooks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi, 

So, post-travel, my Sachtler 20P system came out of the shipping tube, and the 2-stage heavy duty carbon fiber sticks got the usual examination for damage, and, suddenly I had CF splinters in my hand from a fair-sized crack in one of the outer sticks. These are the heavy duty 2-stage sticks, from a awhile back I'm assuming, as the 20P is a few models ago. I'll need to look into the stick model, specifically, sorry. If it helps I can take pictures later. But I assume you can imagine the damage.  

Anyone have any tips for repair? Is sending to Sachtler the main option? Experiences with any other Sachtler-ready outfits or shops would be most welcome. Also, what can I expect to pay for a new / replacement (single) stick (for the outer, upper stage)? Thanks a million,

Isaac  

#2 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Dom Jeger often pops up on threads like this and will probably have experience sourcing that part.

I needed a plastic body for the leg lock on an old aluminum Sachtler a while ago. The local Panavision had the agency, and the part, sitting for years, so was really cheap. You never know your luck.

If you can't easily find the part, pultruded tube is probably plentiful and fairly cheap. Look to suppliers in the marine industry. Actually, cracks in carbon composite are very easily repaired and dressed back to shape if one has the skills. But that assumes the fracture has not brocken too many lengthwise fibres.

From a design perspective, it's a bit of a myth that carbon will increase the apparent system stiffness. The overall geometry and the joint design is much more significant towards that IMHO.

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc