#1 dick trickle

dick trickle

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

i've never shot film before and have always wanted to. people keep telling me to not because of pricing.

say i shoot an hour's worth of footage. can anyone give me an idea of what this would cost to process  and get so that i can edit in FCP?

i'm new here.  :ph34r:

#2 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

1 hour of footage is roughly 6 rolls of film, which is around 150 per from Kodak. You can get cheaper short and re-cans. It is usually harder w 16 than 35mm, because more productions originate on 35. And then, 1080 telecine depends. I suggest you call Cinelab located in Maryland. They are really indie oriented, and would help you out with pricing too.

#3 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

.....say i shoot an hour's worth of footage.....

Hey Dick,
Whats the length of the song or the finished clip? One hours worth of footage is a lot if you are on an indie budget. Depending on your answer there may be some useful suggestions.

If you sniff around you will find some cheap, new, not out of date stock. I saw someone selling a whole carton of Fuji on eBay a day ago, with a few rolls left, really cheap, for example. Or if one of your musicians or crew is a student, those stock prices can be cheap.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, a music video (well rehearsed) should easily fit into a 5:1 if not even a 3:1 film to actual time ratio.

100ft is about 2.5 minutes at 24 fps

400FT loads from Kodak are technically $150.  But, if you register with them as a business, buy direct and use a credit card you can get discounts to get down to about $125/roll.

Assume a 5 minute music video you should be able to get away with 2 400Ft loads, 3 easily.  If you are using more than that, then you are under planning/rehearsing.

A good professional 16mm scan will run you about $500/hr at a 2:1 flat scan ratio.  So, right about $500 for 3 400FT loads of 16mm.

Processing is about 20 cents per foot.  So, 1200FT would be about $240.

So....

$240 - processing

$400 - (approximate) for film

$500 - (one light, flat to Prores 4444 or DPX)

Total $1140...

Give some error and figure $1200 to $1300 should get you through.  But, you should be able to reduce cost considerably with good planning and rehearsing.  I'd say This is a very high estimate.

#5 dick trickle

dick trickle

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

thanks guys.

Hey Dick,
Whats the length of the song or the finished clip? One hours worth of footage is a lot if you are on an indie budget. Depending on your answer there may be some useful suggestions.

If you sniff around you will find some cheap, new, not out of date stock. I saw someone selling a whole carton of Fuji on eBay a day ago, with a few rolls left, really cheap, for example. Or if one of your musicians or crew is a student, those stock prices can be cheap.

it's going to be about 4 minutes.

what would i have to do to get this quality:

?

#6 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

The Actor can practice getting really drunk and being OK with exposing their hopefully prosthetic private parts. I stopped 1/2 way, just before it looked like a very risky tooth paste commercial.

Some usefull advice is possible. People will help. Just persevere with some specific questions.

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Opal