flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey all.

Been a while I don't come in here. Hope to find all in good spirits.
It happens that now I'm having this moment... 

I ordered my BMC pocket camera, and have some 16mm lenses that I'd like to use with it when it arrives.
I'll list them here, and hopefully you guys could help by telling me what's worth to keep, or sell.... And I will sell my Bolex Rex 5 (Ultra by Bernie) and the 16mmEL.

I'd love to keep the lens that could be POSSIBLE to use with the BMC Pocket Camera (as it's S16mm, so there's the FOV issue).
I believe most lenses under 25mm in the 16mm "family" would cause vignetting in a S16mm camera (although there's a post in here that says it's controversial in the case of the Vario Switar). 

I'd love to keep the Vario Zoom Lens, but is a Bayo Mount, so not sure if would fit the BMC with an adaptor?
And in that case, which are the adaptors/brands I should buy for the lens below that would actually FIT on a BMC Pocket Camera?

Bolex family:

Kern VARIO-SWITAR 1:19 F=16-100 MM POE

Kern-Paillard Switar 10mm/1.6 H16 RX C Mount

Kern-Paillard Switar 16mm H16 RX C Mount

Kern-Paillard Switar 25mm H16 RX C Mount

Arri 16st family:

Kinoptik Tegea 5.7mm f1.8 Arri ST mount
Schneider-Kreuznach Arriflex-Cinegon 16mm f1.4

Schneider Cinegon 10mm f1.8

Please help!

:D

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hot Rod Camera is making a great PL mount for the BMCC. More and more it looks like investing in lenses is the way to go with these cameras renting for $225 for 3 days but lenses getting very hard to find.

http://www.hotrodcameras.com

pl_bmcc.jpg

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

It appears the hot rod is only for the MFT version... no hacking of the EF mount off..

#4 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hey WIll.

Thanks for the advice(s).

I'm not expert on mounts/adaptors... YOu mean PL MOUNT is the mount of the KERN VARIO (POE)?
My lenses are Arri ST and POE. So I'm still quite confused of what to do... Names, names... Still need help, sorry!

Yeah, my initial  idea was actually to keep the lenses and AT LEAST one Arri S (as I have the Tobin Motor).

It's not that I actually need the money... It's more that I'm evaluating my future and of my equipment and maybe as it might become obsolete (for me) But one of the Arris will stay! :P

I'd like keep all the lenses though SINCE I could use the lenses with the BMCC Pocket.
And maybe with the money of the selling I might invest in a BMCC 4K in the future. Then yes, it worth renting Zeiss Primes lenses and shooting a feature next year.

Thanks!

#5 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I mean... Got confused... my lenses are the Arri ST and the Kern Vario that is a BAYO mount. So, that adaptor wouldn't work on it... I think?   Before I sell I need to be sure that if I keep the Arri ST and the BAYO Kern Vario I could use them with the BMCC. But I don;t seem to find an adaptor online? BAYO to M4/3 and Arri ST to M4/3? Does they exist?

Edited by flavio filho, 28 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Bolex have their own mount, which isn't to be confused with the PL mount which was designed by Arri.  Arri have had 3 mounts over the years, the ST, the Bayonet and the PL. As you mentioned, many 16mm film lenses don't cover a M4/3 sensor, they mightn't may not even cover a Super 16 sized sensor.

I suspect once the BMC pocket camera is available lens adapter manufacturer will produce products to meet the demand. 

#7 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thanks Brian.

Yep, I thought so... But thanks for clarifying anyway.

Hopefully they will make adapter for the Vario Lens.

I'm divided if worths selling the whole set (Bolex EL+Vario Lens) as the body only might decrease the price a lot.

I'm thinking to buy another Zeiss DSLR Lens to use in the BMCC Pocket. Not sure if the Zeiss Planar 85mm would actually produce images in a 16mm sensor without cropping much? Any ideas?

Argh! its so frustrating to decide these things...

#8 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

The 85mm Zeiss full frame works fine on Super 16, it's a telephoto type lens on that format. You just have decide if that's what you want.

#9 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hot Rod Camera is making a great PL mount for the BMCC. ..

Just saw that photo with that very cool quote stuck on the MB.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" ....Oscar Wilde

Trouble is that by the time an idea like that can have an impact on someone it can easily be too late.

#10 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Just saw that photo with that very cool quote stuck on the MB.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" ....Oscar Wilde

Trouble is that by the time an idea like that can have an impact on someone it can easily be too late.

True from a visual style point of view, but try that with a professional crew about how they do notes, handle footage ect. Consistency is the only thing that saves your ass on a set.

#11 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

I just put my Zeiss 10-100 T2 converted to S16 12-120 T2.4 by Charles Pickel at Serious Gear on a lens projector and it looks like the coverage goes enough beyond S16 that I may have some luck with the BMCC. Wish I could find a MFT with PL adapter version to test it on.

#12 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yep... Consistency can kill creativity for sure... I've noticed that before :)
But sometimes it does help too.
Anyway. I digress.

Thanks, Brian. I was wondering about 35mm Still Lenses X S16 Sensor. I was thinking to sell my Zeiss Planar 85. But might worth keeping it now.
To dive into this spectrum... How other Prime Still 35mm Lenses would work on a S16 Sensor? I love the Zeiss ZF series. I'm considering buying a 18mm and a 35mm to be "covered" and keep "consistency" with my BMCC Pockey IF the wider lenses could work on it? Would they cover the s16 sensor too?

If i do that I'd reach the maximum could afford in quality lens and be able to shoot short films. Then I'd sell the Vario... The good thing in having the Zeiss Stills is that they would work on the the 4K BMCC too.

And what other lenses/brands would work beautifully in the BMCC you guys would buy to get the best of a BMCC? Either 16mm, S16 or 35mm stills?

Easy to see how my world is breaking apart isn't it? :P

#13 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

True from a visual style point of view, but try that with a professional crew about how they do notes, handle footage ect. Consistency is the only thing that saves your ass on a set.

I think most professional crew are very happy when they can put all their "consistencey" towards very original and imaginative films.   We could say that the apparent "consistency" of the crew results from mastery of method and technique,  but he test of true mastery is the ability to improvise.

So no conflicting concepts here,  we agree.

#14 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I spoke with Les Bosher today. And asked about the lens I have and compatibility.
He told me that is possible to convert the BAYO Kern 10-100 POE to a M4/3 mount end. He's unsure about price, but I believe it would be reasonable and he is a fantastic fella.

My new question: Regardless price, would it worth it? I've used the Kern on a 16mm film in the past. Quite good I think. But I've seen many people mentioning is great and normally underrated.

I've seen that most of the 16mm lenses on ebay are gone. So my best hance to have good images on the BMCCP is by converting The Vario and at least have something... OR, buy the Zeiss 10-100 T2 and Converting it to S16...

I know Zeiss is great and I love it. But in this case is a Zoom. How would tat compare (if it could) with a Schneider Primes, or another Zeiss Old Primes, for example? Any footage on those in a 16mm camera just to have an idea?

Edited by flavio filho, 29 May 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#15 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, Brian. I was wondering about 35mm Still Lenses X S16 Sensor. I was thinking to sell my Zeiss Planar 85. But might worth keeping it now.
To dive into this spectrum... How other Prime Still 35mm Lenses would work on a S16 Sensor? I love the Zeiss ZF series. I'm considering buying a 18mm and a 35mm to be "covered" and keep "consistency" with my BMCC Pockey IF the wider lenses could work on it? Would they cover the s16 sensor too?

I would say that I noticed more barrel distortion on what would be wide angle lens used on 35mm full frame than from a 16mm format lens. 

#16 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think most professional crew are very happy when they can put all their "consistencey" towards very original and imaginative films.   We could say that the apparent "consistency" of the crew results from mastery of method and technique,  but he test of true mastery is the ability to improvise.

So no conflicting concepts here,  we agree.

Very well said.

#17 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

Very well said.

Very well indeed

#18 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hello, people!

Since this thread is about 16mm lenses to black magic pocket, I thought to ask around about MOUNT ADAPTERS.
I'm looking for a C-Mount to M4/3 and a PL to M4/3 adapters.

But I need to look for reliable BRANDS, as it's crucial part in the gear.

Anyone knows of the best adapter manufactures around?

#19 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Novoflex makes a PL adapter for M43rds, I think. As for c-mount, I honestly just picked up a cheap Chinese one off of Ebay for my GH2 and it's been fine thus far as it's really just a screw.

#20 flavio filho

flavio filho
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks, Adrian.

Will check that.

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc