Haris Mlivic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hello!

If I want to use a directors viewfinder with anamorphic lenses and see the image de-squeezed in the viewfinder, is it possible to get anamorphic ground glass (for a arri 435 for example which many viewfinders take) that actually desqeezes the image??

Or are you stuck with just the markings for the exposed N35 area and a sqeezed image?

I saw a "scope x2" ground glass in a arri-brouchoure, but I cant seem to find info on whether it actually desqeezes or not, does anybody have any experience with this? How do you otherwise view a correct image in a viewfinder, do you need a specially built one for anamorphic lenses?

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

A scope groundglass just frames the squeezed image, you need an anamorphic viewfinder to desqueeze it for normal viewing. Some camera optical viewfinders have an anamorphic desqueeze option built in, others require a different viewfinder extension.

Similarly with a director's viewfinder you need one with anamorphic optics between the eyepiece and groundglass if you want to see a desqueezed image. 

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Ground glass is just a piece of flat frosted glass that a lens can project its image onto and you can see the image on the opposite side -- it can't magically squeeze or stretch the image.  You'd need anamorphic lens optics inside the eyepiece portion to do that, just as in an anamorphic viewfinder on the camera.  Some lens finders have that 2X desqueeze capability -- for example:

http://thedopshop.co...inder-p-50.html

#4 Haris Mlivic

Haris Mlivic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Haha, magically...I was thinking maybe someone made a special ground glass that was like an small lens somehow that projected 2x on the other side, but when you phrase it like that I realize it sounds stupid, your totally right :)

Do you guys know any other viewfinders that have this option? The UDF seems really big and bulky because of all the extra features like the video-tap.

Maybe the arri? http://www.zgc.com/s...rri_303103.html

Maybe the Denz? http://www.ascmag.co...&cat=337&page=1

Thanks!

Edited by Haris Mlivic, 28 May 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#5 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

I don't think they're very common, the anamorphic desqueeze elements tend to make them long and awkward like that Kish one in David's link, and that's without an anamorphic lens attached! I'm not sure if Arri or Denz make a version, perhaps now that more anamorphics are coming on the market they might. But even standard director's viewfinders are ridiculously expensive, so expect to pay a pretty penny. 

We modified a Fries/Mitchell directors finder with an anamorphic extension viewfinder from a Konvas years ago because there didn't seem to be an after market version. Great big monster it is too. Panavision may have their own, I'm not sure. It may make more sense to rent one from a rental house if they have one.

The other alternative is to just use a compact directors viewfinder like the Alan Gordon one with adjustable format masks, but obviously you don't get to see what the actual lens will look like.

#6 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Kisch makes a UDF that will do anamorphic de-squeeze with or without video. The anamorphic ones are the same length as their spherical finders they just have that switch with the kisch logo on the bottom of the link Dave sent. The video is the reason that one in the picture is much bigger.

It is more similar to this

b1578.jpg

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape