#1 Andrew Sutherland

Andrew Sutherland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I recently acquired from a friend an ARRI IIC w/three lens turret. It has a hand grip motor (3 pin XLR connection) and another 3 pin XLR connection on the body. I have been searching the forums and I haven't been able to find information mentioning an ARRI IIC w/ a 3 pin XLR, I have no manual. I have no knowledge of operating film cameras but would like to give it a test run. I understand I will need a 16.8V DC battery, the issue is with connections and charger - It seems these items are easy enough to acquire individually but not in a simple package. Can anyone recommend a site that sells batteries that will include a 3 pin XLR connection w/ a charger that will have a UK plug [the large majority of cine accessory websites are American and I would prefer not to have a 17v battery charging through an international adapter). 

Also;

As there is a female XLR on both the body and the hand grip, which should the battery connect to? What are the reasons for connecting the power to body vs motor? Thanks.

Edited by Andrew Sutherland, 28 May 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#2 Andrew Sutherland

Andrew Sutherland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Correction: The hand motor is a 3 pin connection - the body has a 6 pin XLR connection.

#3 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Some 2Cs had a 6 pin (Tuchel) socket on the body used for Pilotone. The motor socket is the one you want to supply power to. 3 pin XLRs were traditionally used for 24V applications though. Is it possible it's a 24V motor? A photo would help.

The standard 3 pin XLR wiring is almost always pin 1 negative, pin 2 positive - very simple to solder an XLR on the end of a battery cable.

Can't help with UK battery suppliers I'm afraid.

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

I've seen the old style two "fat" pin connector for 2c handgrip motors and the 6 pin but not the XLR very often. I thought 4 pin XLR was for 12 volt and 3 pin XLR was 24 volt? Maybe that's just the modern world.

Wait, those are 16v motors right? That's probably why.

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Wooden Camera