Photo

Colour correcting/grading old movies to give them a modern day look?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond Ngoh

Raymond Ngoh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi, I am a newcomer to this forum, and I would like to say hi to everyone here. I'm no cinematographer but cinematography has always interested me quite a bit. One of the areas I am really interested in the use of colour grading in films and how colour can evoke mood when you are watching a film. 

With the advent of modern post-production software, I understand it is easier for cinematographer to colour correct their films. And given most modern films make heavy use of teal, orange and blue when it comes to colour grading the films, I was wondering if there are any projects whereby people "update" old movies like Ben-Hur, Spartacus or Taxi driver to give it a more modern look? 

It will be interesting to see how older movies would look like if they were produced in 2013, with modern computers aiding the directors and cinematographers. 

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Everyone take a deep breath...exhale slowly. Ok.

Plenty of "re-mastering" occurs where older films are scanned and color corrected all the time but almost always to achieve what the director was looking for or match what the original prints would have been. It would be almost sacrilegious to re-grade something like Ben-Hur into something the director didn't intend.

That being said, if you want to play with it knock yourself out and have fun.

If you're George Lucas then all bets are off of course.

#3 Raymond Ngoh

Raymond Ngoh

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Everyone take a deep breath...exhale slowly. Ok.

Plenty of "re-mastering" occurs where older films are scanned and color corrected all the time but almost always to achieve what the director was looking for or match what the original prints would have been. It would be almost sacrilegious to re-grade something like Ben-Hur into something the director didn't intend.

That being said, if you want to play with it knock yourself out and have fun.

If you're George Lucas then all bets are off of course.

I see...I was just wondering how different the visual look of a classic film would look like if you chose to re-grade the film regardless of the director's and cinematographer's intention. 

It will be fun to see whether a film like "willow" would benefit from the same colour grading used in the lord of the rings, or how much colour grading will affect the mood of many memorable scenes in all the classics. 

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Give it a shot. You can download DaVinci Resolve for free now and bring in the Blu-Ray and play around. Might even be a good exercise on color correcting.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

I don't see the "benefit" in grading a movie to look different than the filmmakers' intention other than as a way to teach yourself color-correction. Otherwise it's a bit like asking if there is a benefit to retouching a Rembrandt painting to look more like a Van Gough painting... Maybe as a teaching tool but otherwise the notion that the painting itself would "benefit" from being retouched is a bit sacrilegious.

If a work of art is supposed to benefit from being made to look modern then why not start rewriting classic literature? Maybe Beethoven would benefit from some techno synthetic drumbeats added to the 9th Symphony. God forbid a work of art be identifiable in terms of the period in which it was made...

#6 Adeyinka Otubusin Reflection Pictures

Adeyinka Otubusin Reflection Pictures

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

hi fam, pls i need an exclusive note, probably a video tutorial on how to color grade perfectly. thanks

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Opal

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS