Photo

Achieving a dreamy/vintage look (example included)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Skillen

Nathan Skillen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hey, I'm looking to achieve this look: 

That's a Leica 50mm "Summar" f2.0 LTM on an EPIC X - see the vimeo link for more info.

I like the bloomy softness, the way out of focus looks and falls off, the bokeh and the flares. Together it's magical/dreamy...

Other than that specific lens, I haven't been able to find any lens or other method for achieving that look. I've looked at other older leica lenses, uncoated lenses, mist/fog filters but nothing seems to push it as far as that example.

Any other suggestions for lenses, or maybe a combination of lenses, uncoated, filters etc.?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

For which camera? I have a few old C-Mount lenses I used on my GH2 which get similar. Effect will depend a lot on the "life" the specific lens has had. For example on my GH2, the old 16mm lens I have does something similar to this, though it also vignettes so you have to be careful how you light for it. The 75mm I have, however is much clearer looking, but still has a creamyness you don't get on modern glass.

The problem being, when it comes to older lenses on modern cameras you have to test a lot to see what you can get and if you get one lens which has an awesome effect such as that, you may not get any other lenses which get close to that kind of look.

Filters alone won't cut it, but they can get you close. Vantage has a new set of odd filters I just saw, similar to the blu streaks, but now with all kinds of "stuff" mounted in glass which will certainly make some odd flares.
I personally got a "dreamy" like look too with a small piece of acrylic drilled with multiple holes, like a cheese-plate, but of varying sizes which acts like a fog and throw giant out of focus circles all around the image... unless you stop down.
Nets in front of the lens can also cream things up and make them look dreamy, paired with uncoated lenses for the flares you can probably get close as well.

#3 Nathan Skillen

Nathan Skillen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Adrian for your reply. For this project it'd be for Canon DSLRS - 5d m3 and 5d m2.

You're right about the lenses - testing is essential. However, since most of the vintage lenses are only available for purchase and not rental, acquiring/testing many of them for testing would be quite expensive and this project has a limited budget.
Jason who created the video embedded above said that the modification he used is not recommended/unavailable... apparently it was quite an ugly mod. He recommend an alternative: Leica Summarit 50mm f1.5, which accomplishes a similar look very well. However, my main problem is finding various focal lengths that have the same look. A wide angle is needed for this shoot but trying to find that look in a wide angle is proving very difficult

Nets are an interesting idea. I know about the Fogal stocking recommended by Hulburt - look which is 50's dreamy / theatric. That might work, but do you have any other ideas for netting/stocking?

Uncoated lenses are a problem for DSLRs because all the uncoated lens sets I've found are Zeiss, Cooke etc. sets that are all PL mount. The only DSLR friendly set I've found is the Uncoated Samyang set from ShootBlue but unfortunately they've been stolen from Shootblue so they aren't available currently :(

Filters are likely how I'll go with this project. I was thinking a fog/mist filter stacked with a cheap uncoated UV filter to get some of the dreamy softness + extra flares.
The vantage film filters you mentioned sound very interesting. There's barely any information online however — I've emailed Vantage to inquire about more info & any test stills/video with them. Do you have any more info / know any other sources of info on these filters?

Thanks!

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC