Spielberg and Lucas lay out the future of the industry:

http://variety.com/2...ent-1200496241/

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Much of what was said makes sense to me.

#3 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Grumpy old men yelling at the neighbor kids to get off their lawns!

#4 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Spielberg and Lucas lay out the future of the industry:

http://variety.com/2...ent-1200496241/

Yeah I've always felt the film industry as a whole, specifically the majors, were living on borrowed time.  When video codecs were still in the R&D phase down in silicon valley you knew that it was only a matter of time before RAM technology could process imagery equivalent to a 35mm stock or standard NTSC video.

What that meant was that if you had a camera and a really intriguing idea, and if you had a real fast connection, then you could upload your stuff on your website without having to go through the motions of schmoozing or showcasing your work at some film fest on the other side of the country or globe.

Like I said on my other thread, games have taken over movies.  that actually happened a long time ago (in a galaxy very very near).  Again you could see it in the early 80s when I was studying how to code in Apple BASIC.  If computer technology got advanced enough, then you could not only draw pixelated images of your favorite actors, but also blend colors and sounds to create a virtual actor.

One of Hollywood's greatest fears is that they, specifically the controlling elements, believed that their product helped guide society.  And NOW that technology has democratized media, the old fear-mongering entertainment social circles will burst, and so will the whole industry model.

Like I said in my other thread (and I could see it since the mid 80s), the emphasis on blockbuster SFX films is like the historical epics or westerns of the 40s, 50s and 60s.  At some point people will stop being interested in Superhero-X, or just stop going to the movie houses because they're tired of paying money to see films with rude audiences, films that are the same thing over and over again, films about topics that are just basically immature.  And, probably more importantly, films that really condescend to a lot of mainstream society, and are continually aimed at preteens to late 20-somethings.

Throw all that together, and it's a wonder the industry is still faring as well as it is today, particularly with all the egos involved.

I hope it's an actual break down of the old studio system, and not a simple shift in power.  I really hated movies in the 80s and 90s.  I hated audiences that talked.  I hated half-assed films.  I hated a lot of the social preaching that continues to get injected into contemporary films.

If the studio heads just made movies that were good, and quit being so goddamn skiddish and terrified of new talent and personnel in the creative ranks (have I got stories), then they wouldn't be in this position.

Just my two bits.

#5 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

I really hated movies in the 80s and 90s.  I hated audiences that talked.  I hated half-assed films.  I hated a lot of the social preaching that continues to get injected into contemporary films.

If the studio heads just made movies that were good, and quit being so goddamn skiddish and terrified of new talent and personnel in the creative ranks (have I got stories), then they wouldn't be in this position.

Just my two bits.

What about popcorn prices? Did that get you steamed too?

And Dolby stereo? Completely unnessessary, I know!

#6 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well you went to for the sound and snacks.  I remember Midway (the big WW2 film in the 70s) was presented in "Suuround-Sound"..  Fun stuff.  That verse 15 years later when I went and saw Tim Burton's Batman where the first three rows were populated by Prince fans who couldn't control themselves to keep their big goddamn mouths shut and stay in the f-ing seats.

I've got tons of examples.

Not ironically enough the best movie experiences I've ever had are going to see family films, or films that were aimed at a 30-something plus audience pre-1990.  Quite, mature folks who enjoyed the film and were polite.  It almost makes me wish I had kids.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Tai Audio