Photo

Got my first test footage back...any advice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan Gonzalez

Dylan Gonzalez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

I recently got my first reel of Super 8 footage telecined. It was shot on a Canon 514 XL-S using Ektachrome 100D Color Reversal.

I just shot a bunch of random stuff handheld, as I've never used this camera or Super 8 footage in general before. I just wanted to make sure the camera was operational and figure out what I need to work on.

I'm aware the footage is overexposed...and that's after being corrected. The 514 only has auto-exposure, so I believe I'm going to have to lock the camera at a lower exposure before I shoot outdoors.

It's also out of focus at times. Part of that is my own fault, as I was fiddling with the focus while shooting, but I'm definitely going to have to put a bit more work into keeping everything in focus.

The footage is here: https://www.youtube....?v=Sf4e7FmjCSY. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other advice or sees any other issues with it beyond exposure or focus.

#2 Bill Rodgers

Bill Rodgers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Director
  • London & Sussex UK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

That's really pretty good going for your first roll of test footage. It's just a matter of shooting more and getting used to your camera and film stock's limitations.

Your Canon 514XL-S will probably work just fine if you simply adjust and set the eyepiece correctly. You can then be sure to focus your close-ups with care.

I often lazily pop on a Canon C-8 43mm wide lens attachment on the front of my 514XL-S, as everything from about a 5ft to infinity is then in focus. :)

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2085 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

It all depends on what style you're going for but consider a tripod. Super 8 footage is almost always handheld and that's what we expect to see so when you actually have steady tripod shots it makes for a pleasant change.

Where did you get it transferred? Seems a little flat even with the overexposure.

Focus is of course the hardest thing to master but you'll get better and better.

#4 Joerg Polzfusz

Joerg Polzfusz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi Bill,

please respond to my eMails and PM.

Thanks,

Jörg

The Slider