3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Muna

Tony Muna
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Recently stopped by the only rental house in Guam and found some old old filters.

So I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Tiffen Black SoftNet and what would be a more modern or more developed filter today.

Obviously I am going to be going through some test but trying to do some research for signs to watch out for.

Diffusion tends to wash-out the image and lower contrast, so you'll get closest to a normal contrast with a black net. With a white net, there could be some veiling & milkiness, especially if in front of the lens.

"Fiddler on the Roof" and some of "Bound for Glory" used a brown pantyhose (in front for "Fiddler", don't know about the other), and "Excalibur" used a white net behind the lens. But black nets are by far the most common to use.

Any more information and film titles that used these older filters would be great.

Thanks gang!

#2 Tony Muna

Tony Muna
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

My apologizes. I posted under the wrong section. Admin if you could place in the proper section.

Thank you again

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I can't think of any movies that are well-known for using the Soft Net filter... maybe "Bird on a Wire"?

Some people got in trouble with it when using on lenses that were too wide and/or too stopped down, so that net pattern came slightly into focus like you were looking through a fuzzy chain link fence.  But that would be a problem with a net stretched onto a filter frame in front of the lens, it can even be a problem with glass diffusion that has a strong pattern in the surface.

#4 Tony Muna

Tony Muna
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks David!!

I figured it was a shot in the dark. I am hoping to get some test with it soon but sounds to me the look may be too much I was hoping for.

Thanks again David.

Will try to upload some stills for future researchers.

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies