• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Like a lot of people in this sort of business, I get a lot of CVs from beginners looking for work. Mostly I respond with a thanks-I'll-bear-you-in-mind as I very rarely need to employ anyone else, and very occasionally I've been able to make good on that offer. Not very often, but it does happen.

Occasionally, through an old friend who's a schoolteacher, I run basic camera workshops for 6th form students. I did one yesterday, and as of this morning, I had a text message from one of the students, who'd been bright enough to look me up, asking if I could offer some sort of internship. Internships are a very big deal in the UK at the moment and everyone's clamouring for them.

I can't really do that as I don't have long enough continuous blocks of work, but as part of my Being a Nicer Person initiative I'm inclined to invite this student to come out on a few days here and there. It wouldn't be a formal internship but it would be something to put on a CV. This is well-timed as they're a week from breaking up for the summer and I have a couple of fairly straightforward corporates coming up.

There is a potential problem: this student is no more than 17, and female, which affects the look of the thing even if it doesn't affect the legality and insurability of the situation. The issues this could let me in for are pretty clear. Also, in the UK, one might fall foul of the minimum wage rules; I'd have to look up what the situation is with work experience people.

I'd really like to not be negative about this, and say yes, but any advice would be much appreciated. Obviously one would speak to the parents and also to my friend at the school, but I'm not sure what else I can do in order to have done due diligence on this.

All the best,

Phil

#2 Charles Zuzak

Charles Zuzak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

As I'm not familiar with UK laws, perhaps I'll prod you a little if it helps:

Do you own your own business?  If yes, do you retain a general counsel that could help you navigate the legal waters?

Why is the sex/gender of the intern an issue?

Are internships without pay illegal?  What is the minimum age to carry a job in the UK?

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Do you own your own business?

I'm self employed, and no, I've never needed a lawyer before.

Why is the sex/gender of the intern an issue?

I'm not sure that it theoretically is, but I suspect general opinion would be more cautious about a young woman than a young man, for better or worse.

Are internships without pay illegal?

I'm not sure, but I don't believe so. I believe there are quite specific rules about how it must be organised and what the intern may be required to do, as otherwse it'd be too easy a way around the minimum wage laws.

What is the minimum age to carry a job in the UK

13 part time (which is designed to let people have paper rounds) or, broadly speaking, 16 full time. The minimum wage varies for those under 18.

P

#4 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

Phil, you need to post a picture of her here so we can all get a better idea of what she looks like- then we can proceed to give advice!

#5 Alex Birrell

Alex Birrell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • London, UK

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Internships without pay are definitely not illegal in the UK. I did one at Panavision London in April and have been offered on at StudioCanal in August. They are all official with full paperwork so no problems there.

As someone still studying and trying to make an eventual career in the industry I think internships without pay are a fantastic opportunity and think that those American students who have just created the legal issue in the States might have just ruined the chances of many future interns there. 

Let's be honest, when you want to work in film there are many occasions when you would pay someone to let you be an intern if given the chance!

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

What we're talking about here is not an internship. I can't offer one of those; there's paperwork involved that I probably couldn't do, even if I could offer someone weeks of work.

But I think you've been thoroughly hoodwinked. I've seen interns in positions which were clearly abusive, doing work that robbed other, paid members of staff of their employment and not getting paid themselves. This may be sold to you as "an opportunity", but I'm afraid it isn't. This is not done to give anyone a leg-up. It's done to get free labour for companies who don't want to pay for it, and it's wrong.

The more people make it seem like this is OK, the less actual paid work there will be.

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Agree 100% with Mr. Rhodes in terms of internships. And I certainly hope some folks over here wise up and follow the rules set out for them.

But, as for your situation, I don't see any issue you should be worrying about if they want to come out to observe. If anyone gives you grief, just explain to them that they were doing no work, and they just wanted to observe what a shoot was like. As for the student proper, just have her taking notes of what's going on so she can learn something ect. If anything it makes you look a bit sweet and caring trying to help people out. The fact she's a girl is; well, I don't see it as an issue.

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Mostly I respond with a thanks-I'll-bear-you-in-mind as I very rarely need to employ anyone else, and very occasionally I've been able to make good on that offer. Not very often, but it does happen.

And none of these kids have suffered severe emotional trauma as a result?

R,

Kidding Phil  :)

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Regardless, they got paid work, which is about the only concrete outcome you can ever hope to achieve.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post