Photo

Stupid FCX cross dissolve issue - Please help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Sperry

Mark Sperry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I am editing a Super 8 film in FCX, which means I have large blocks of footage that I cut up and insert into my timeline.  I cut them pretty precisely because often you'll have something completely different at the end of a clip.  So when I apply a cross dissolve I notice that it brings in a few frames beyond my cut, which totally screws up the dissolve because it just looks like a mistake.  Is there a setting that I haven't applied or a way to tell the cross dissolves to only use the available footage in the clip?

Not the most experienced editor here sorry guys if this is a really stupid question.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

I don't know about FCP X, but it sounds like you trimmed to length before putting the shot into the timeline. Usually it's better to go over length and trim to length when the shot is in the timeline, especially if the process creates a copy that's inserted and it can't be extended. You may find a means in a set up menu to select the location of the dissolve so that it ends on the cut, but you must ensure there's enough overlap for the length of the dissolve.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think there is a way of telling FCPX that there is no more footage beyond the cut point to use but frankly, I've been cutting recently on FCPX and I just trim the clip more so that the beginning of the dissolve doesn't grab frames from the shot before.

Opal

Abel Cine

CineTape

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc