Photo

Gene Wilder stopped making movies 20 years ago.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I really wasn't sure where to put this, or if this was appropriate for this BBS at all.  But Gene Wilder did an interview, and states why he stopped making movies;

To get to the point, he didn't like the explicit material that was being made for audiences; swearing, violence, eccetera.

On another thread I mentioned that no one was making good general audience movies anymore, and someone stated that they were making family films.  That really wasn't what I was talking about.  I wasn't talking about family films, but films that all audiences could see and appreciate.  No one makes those anymore, and according to mister Wilder, that's why he stopped making films.

I'm curious if that isn't resonating with what used to be mainstream audiences.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

I don't know, I've been watching a lot of 1970's movies lately like "Slap Shot", "Fat City", "Straight Time"... they are pretty adult in their themes, language, situations (drug use, violence, crime), if anything I think we make fewer movies like that today because they don't appeal to teenagers and they don't have international appeal.

I certainly don't see the problem today is that movies aren't being made with a broad enough audience appeal, quite the opposite, if a studio doesn't think the movie will make a half-billion dollars in ticket sales, they aren't interested.

#3 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Interesting.  Do you think Wilder might be a little out of touch?  I guess on the other thread my thoughts and feelings were that no one was making cross generational humor that could be appreciated by mature kids and adults.  They make those, but they usually have a lot of family oriented material in them as well, which I think is good, but I think it drives away another large audience.

#4 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

Mr. Wilder doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. He's made an indelible mark on cinema. If he says the movies nowadays got too much humpin', shootin' and swearin' then that's what it is and it ain't open for debate!

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I think Wilder is right in that there is more violence and swearing on average than in past movies, but I'm not sure that makes them more or less adult in theme or message, it's more of a fashion statement, tastes have changed.  What a "general audience" wants to look at -- or what society says is OK that they should look at -- has changed.  

But I don't think mainstream movies like "The Avengers" or "Man of Steel" are all that shocking in their use of sex, violence or swearing compared to older movies -- in other words, I don't think the studios are not trying to cater to the largest audiences possible.  As my list of 1970's movies points out, if anything, the studios are catering less to adults, there has been an infantilization of the movies.

PG-13 material has gotten more risqué but then, so has society judging by what teenagers wear and post on the internet.  There isn't much scientific evidence that if movies were "cleaned up" enough to get a G-rating they would somehow do even more business at the box office -- that may please people like Wilder but turn off any number of teenagers.  For better or worse, the movies just are a mirror reflection of ourselves as a society.  We can complain all we want about the sleaze factor in modern movies and TV, but the problem is broader than that.  

#6 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

That interesting.  One of my favorite films s "What's up Doc" from 1972.  It's a 1970's take on the 1930s and 40s screwball comedy.  There's one scene suggesting sex but nothing explicit, no swearing, one gun is fired maybe four times, but no blood shed, and I thin the strongest word used is "damn".  Another 1970's film is "Star Wars".  There's quite a bit of shoot-em-up stuff, but only one scene has an blood in it, and again the strongest word is "damn".  Both those films did extremely well.  There're other examples.

But yeah, younger generations seem to be pushing the envelope a little further in their tastes than when you and I were coming of age.  Oh well.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS