3 replies to this topic

#1 Reuel Gomez

Reuel Gomez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

David Mullen and a couple of others on this site have given me advice on how to choose a cinematographer on a project, but now I ask this question: How so you choose a colorist? How different is it from choosing a cinematographer? What are some variables to consider? Like the facility they're working with or the software they're working on?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I mentioned software to you but it matters less today now that so many of the choices do similar things... A few years back I was struggling with TV post houses trying to get into feature D.I. work but using video tools, small CRT reference monitors, working in Rec.709 color space, etc. But my basic advice is still to find a post house with feature experience if you are color-correcting a feature, people who understand creating a proper DCP, who understand film-outs (if one will be needed), and has a D.I. theater with a decent sized screen.

The reason to look for a colorist and post house with feature film experience is that some artifacts of color-correction, and decisions on sharpening and/or noise reduction, are more visible on a big theater screen. Though with the advent of large HD monitors in the home, there is less of a quality gap than before.

As for the colorist, you may want to consider how much stylization you plan on adding to the image versus how much naturalism, some colonists lean one way or the other, just like cinematographers... though both should be adaptable to your requests if they are flexible.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Keep in mind that generally you get what you pay for. You can find talented colorists that work for less money, but as David said, they may not have the experience with feature film outs or other technical issues that simply come from doing it.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Colourists are mysterious creatures of the night....the best ones will find you.  :)

R,

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Glidecam

The Slider

Visual Products