Um, Pacific Rim was awesome

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

pacific-rim.jpg

This movie was as good if not better than Independence Day (1997). Thoroughly entertaining- never a dull moment. Everyone should see this film on the big screen, it is simply amazing. See the above still? It's that times a thousand.

It's the Godzilla for the 21st century.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

I refuse to believe that anything can achieve the dizzy heights of Independence Day.

Although I have to confess I've not seen 2012 yet.

Freya

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yeah 2012..... I personally don't think you're missing much there. I saw it pretty recently, but can't remember much about it, -v- ID4 where, well it's pretty vivid in mind.  I think 2012 was a bit like the prequels... too much "stuff" in the scene.

As for Pacific Rim; i'm still on the fence with seeing it; and what sucks is I doubt I'll have time to check it out before it leaves theaters.

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Yeah 2012..... I personally don't think you're missing much there. I saw it pretty recently, but can't remember much about it, -v- ID4 where, well it's pretty vivid in mind.  I think 2012 was a bit like the prequels... too much "stuff" in the scene.

Independence Day 4????? I obviously havn't been staying on top of the classics! :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 15 July 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

lol not 4, but I recall in their marketing back in the day they called it ID4, I think, in order to emphasize the 4th of july which was it's release date.

They are apparently working on a sequel... which should surprise no one.

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

I've just had, The Dogfather, converted into IMAX 3D.

R,

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

3-D is so 2012. It's time to make The Dogfather Experience in 4D

#8 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

3-D is so 2012. It's time to make The Dogfather Experience in 4D

haha, Yeah its refered to as ID4, I still love that film, classic block buster of the day, funny thing is there making a 2 and 3 because the studios won't stop till they run every franchise and film into the ground instead of investing in new concepts, I wonder why people don't go to the movies as much

#9 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

As for Pacific Rim; i'm still on the fence with seeing it; and what sucks is I doubt I'll have time to check it out before it leaves theaters.

Doubt? There better be no doubt. This is the film of the summer of 2013. THE film of the SUMMER of 20 **(obscenity removed)** 13. Better make it a priority. Quit your job, quit your girlfriend- whatever it takes to get your butt into that theater seat, Adrian.

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

haha, Yeah its refered to as ID4, I still love that film, classic block buster of the day, funny thing is there making a 2 and 3 because the studios won't stop till they run every franchise and film into the ground instead of investing in new concepts, I wonder why people don't go to the movies as much

I think it's great news! I never liked the ending of I Day. Was hoping for a happy ending. Felt so bad for the visitors coming all that way, light years and light years, and then then instead of being properly welcomed after such a long trip, the humans send up a paddy wagon and flash their lights at them. How insulting, and even then the visitors show restraint and just wipe out a few ugly neo classical buildings (doing the humans a favour really, just an opportunity to produce some more interesting architechture). I mean tame stuff for a civilisation of such technology that they can travel light years across space.

I hope this time that the visitors teach those mean humans a lesson and humanity comes to its senses and treats them a bit nicer. I mean theres being rude, and theres being rude.

Freya

#11 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Doubt? There better be no doubt. This is the film of the summer of 2013. THE film of the SUMMER of 20 **(obscenity removed)** 13. Better make it a priority. Quit your job, quit your girlfriend- whatever it takes to get your butt into that theater seat, Adrian.

You seem pretty convinced about this movie, but honestly how does it stand in the canon of giant robot movies. I mean you suggest it exceeds the dizzy heights of Independence Day but can it really hold it's own against the Transformers movies? I mean the transformers are not just giant robots, but robots in disguise, which obviously takes things to a whole over level.

Where does it stand in that kind of context? I mean the transformers movies have such a strong theme of duality but Pacific Rim would have to have its own to thing to not just be a pale shadow against them. The title is at least interesting because despite the fact we know it is about giant robots, it does kind of sound like a fragrant toilet cleaner. The question is tho, can it take this beyond?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 16 July 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#12 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Its a film that knows exactly what it is and is a lot of fun.

#13 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

I refuse to believe that anything can achieve the dizzy heights of Independence Day.

Although I have to confess I've not seen 2012 yet.

Freya

Well, I'm tipping my hat here as to my sci-fi anime geekyness, but did you ever see a little film called Macross?  The big finale with all the Hornets, Eagles, Tomcats and F-16s confronting the alien bad guy ship was taken from that film (...as was much of the story).

Have a look;

#14 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Its a film that knows exactly what it is and is a lot of fun.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

R,

#15 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

And there's nothing wrong with that.

R,

Yup! Count me in for fun! :)

Sadly it is not doing so well at the box office. I think this is a shame, and would have thought giant fighting robots would be a sure fire success but for Del Toro, it seems not in this case. It's a shame he didn't have a toy/computer game tie in aspect as I guess that must be what it takes.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 19 July 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#16 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm sure the real money to be made on Pacific Rim will be in it's 2ndary screens-- Airplanes, VoD, and BluRay Sales.

#17 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

ku-xlarge.jpg

#18 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

pacific-rim.jpg

This movie was as good if not better than Independence Day (1997). Thoroughly entertaining- never a dull moment. Everyone should see this film on the big screen, it is simply amazing. See the above still? It's that times a thousand.

It's the Godzilla for the 21st century.

Indepence Day and Godzilla were your benchmarks??!! It brings to mind the story of David Ducovney taking a leak on the Independece Day movie poster in The X-Files movie....not really sure why except maybe because film making should be a pole vault not a limbo contest, but hey, no accounting for taste, right? If you enjoyed it, more power too you, however given the B.O. returns, I gotta say there's a possibility...a GREAT possibility you're probably in the minority.....WAY in the minority . BTW, not really impressed with the screen grab, The fog density and lighting fall off are WAY off and the color is even off a little. It really does look like a composite shot. Just my opinion.

#19 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Independence Day and Godzilla were your benchmarks??!! It brings to mind the story of David Ducovney taking a leak on the Independece Day movie poster in The X-Files movie....not really sure why except maybe because film making should be a pole vault not a limbo contest, but hey, no accounting for taste, right? If you enjoyed it, more power too you, however given the B.O. returns, I gotta say there's a possibility...a GREAT possibility you're probably in the minority.....WAY in the minority . BTW, not really impressed with the screen grab, The fog density and lighting fall off are WAY off and the color is even off a little. It really does look like a composite shot. Just my opinion.

Steven, maybe you should go see the movie first before you dissed it all over the internet. You seem retarded.

#20 Francisco Martins

Francisco Martins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

The movie was lame. Cheesy, no depth. Bleh. They should've just bit the bullet, and bought the rights to adapt Neon Genesis Evangelion which this film riffs off of.

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly