Guillaume Cottin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hey everyone,

This may seem like a double post (as I already posted in "Jobs, Resumes and Reels" some time ago) but this one is more about getting a feedback and because I really would like you guys to critique my work and say anything you think about it, good or bad things, I won't be offended no matter what you say.

Oh and I also made things easier and embeeded the video below.

Enjoy! (or not!)

Click "HD" to view a larger version on Vimeo.

#2 Clarkson Kent

Clarkson Kent

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hello Guillaume:

Your best credics will always be the audience you are trying to appeal too. I would post this also on multiple sites to get a broad range of viewers, then read their comments. If you are on a social media website post there as well, and ask your friends and friends of friends to get their feed back. Show case your work among your actors, crew, and let them bring guests, at the end let them comment and hold a Q and A session. I am sure you have friends that are into fillmaking as well, ask them to crutique. If you had a film, or video professor in the past ask him or her as well. The main point is get your film out there through all avenues and forms of communication.

When I analyze any film I look in the audience propesctive (the people we appeal to) and as a filmmaker prospective.

Audience prospective: This film kept me wanting to watch more. I kept on trying to guess what this story was about as it unvieled it self to me. The drama in each scene was very dramatic, and couldn't help but send shivers down my spine. Loved all the differnent locations, as well as the clothing, and props that were involved. It diffenatly entertained me, and I kept me thirsting for more and thought the music added to the suspense. Obviously this filmed by a real professional.

Filmmakers prospective:

It's a good work in progress, there are a few things that need to be brushed up here and there. I feel it's 90% of the way complete. Everything needs to happen for a purpose in scene and the overal story. I didn't feel or see a purpose having the projector in the  film; it looks candid and chessy. Take out the projector. Shorten the film down to 1 minute, I felt that it was dragging out a little bit to long for a preview. One nude girl is good enough to draw attention, anything over that in a trailer is over kill. Take out the road scene in the beginning, the color is washed out it looks like someone filmed it on a home camcorder, it doesn't match the mood or style of the other shots; it's not neccesary. Take out the 00:43 scene and replace it with the next, that two heavy beat drum would do better. scene (0:59) heavy two beats should do better at the end when the girl sits down with the two drinks then fade out. There is no reason to have scene 1:03. Dialog there needs to be diouloge in this scenes. There are to many things going without having the ears hear the story as well. Get a narrator it will help steer your audience in the direction, time frame, and overall genre. For what you have you did a great job telling the story withought dialog, however each person is going to interpret it differntly when you give them that freedom without having a shepard. All the scenes were composed superbly, loved how fliud everything seemed to flow and connect in someway. Lighting was great, actors looked professional, make up artists and custome desinger did a great job. I really enjoyed watching it and you diffently have a great peice of work. Keep up the good work

Most viewers aren't going to see the small flaws in the film I saw. So if you had to send it out right now, I am certain your audience would be statisfied. 

Here is a fast Rough cut what I mean.

Edited by Clarkson Kent, 21 July 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I too vote for the removal of the projector. It definitely clashes.

I like the period drama stuff tho! :)

Freya

#4 Guillaume Cottin

Guillaume Cottin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Toronto

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

I will think about removing the projector, but on the other hand, should I really take one of the films I've shot out of my reel just because it's "cheesy" to have a projector in a DP's reel? I don't know.

Clarkson Kent (or whoever you are), you created a user account just to reply to my message, you left a very long, somewhat automated (?) message ("you did a great job telling the story" is kinda irrelevant talking about a showreel), and you take time to reedit my reel, and you also created a separate Vimeo account just to post the video.

It doesn't take a lot of thinking to guess that you must be a French friend of mine! Send me a MP.

And also, you know this is a "real names" forum ;-)

G.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

The Slider