Photo

4k Digital Projection at a higher refresh rate?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sometimes digital projection looks just fine to me, depends on the subject matter & style of film.  Other times, it's mismanaged, settings are messed up, and it looks too much like my home TV.

Went and saw "The Conjuring" last night at my local AMC.  I knew this was shot on the Alexa, and I know the look of the Alexa well and what it's capable of.  I assume they shot 24p, unless anyone has any data that suggests otherwise.

I noticed it immediately when the WB & New Line Cinema logos came up.  The motion was video'y, somewhere between the 24fps look, and the high frame rate look of "The Hobbit".  Similar to watching 24p content on a high refresh rate TV set.  So that's what I assumed I was watching, a projector set to a higher refresh rate.  I felt like I was watching the SyFy channel.

It's so bad, I'm writing a letter to AMC.  I'm not at all interested in spending $12 to watch "public television" as QT would put it.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've never noticed this... Is there a chance that a setting left over from a 3D screening in terms of frame rate / refresh rate could cause this effect?

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

After scanning the web for refresh rate answers, that same question entered my mind.

In the past, approaching theatre employees face to face has been pointless, because nobody there knows what I'm talking about when issues get technical.

Hopefully I can reach the right people.  My only hopes are standards being raised at all AMC's, the more we speak out on the issues we have the better digital projection will get.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery