#41 Lasse Roedtnes

Lasse Roedtnes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi David & Matt,

This camera doesnt come with a lense per default - but that's a good thing.

It has a C-Mount so you can use pretty much anything you want - we do not want to be in the business of selling lenses :)

And yes it is crystal sync'ed :)

Zachariah,

The camera fully supports both 24fps or 25fps you can even program 23.976fps if you want NTSC compatibility when you later on do the telecine. 

Regards

Lasse

#42 Lasse Roedtnes

Lasse Roedtnes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Carl, it's a good idea you mention regarding the laser crossmark - we've been investigating similar techniques but so far none of these ideas have made it into the camera simply because it adds expensive optical solutions to the mix and we would like to have as little optics inside as possible.  regards lasse

#43 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

So, Lasse,

When do we see pictures and vimeo samples?

#44 Lasse Roedtnes

Lasse Roedtnes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi David,

I'm on my way out on vacation tomorrow, three weeks in Mallorca so it's going to be a little while until I can post some teasers.

By the way someone asked if it was possible to attach an external monitor - well infact there's no monitor build into the camera itself to make it lightweight and because we reckon that most people are not satisfied with buildin viewfinders anyway (some thinks 4" is too small some people like 10" - some wants B&W and some wants something else) so the idea is that one can attach for example a Lilliput monitor or pretty much anything that accepts an industry standard CVBS video signal input and use that as monitor.

There's an option to have both "raw video" out and/or "overlaid" video out with all the status details so that one can record the actual video without the overlay while still seeing it on their monitor viewfinder.

Stay tuned it's going to be cool!

/Lasse

#45 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

This had better not a big c*** tease!!!!!!

#46 Francisco Martins

Francisco Martins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Take my money. Very interested. I hope this is real. Looking forward to your demos.

#47 christophernigel

christophernigel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hi David,

I'm on my way out on vacation tomorrow, three weeks in Mallorca so it's going to be a little while until I can post some teasers.

By the way someone asked if it was possible to attach an external monitor - well infact there's no monitor build into the camera itself to make it lightweight and because we reckon that most people are not satisfied with buildin viewfinders anyway (some thinks 4" is too small some people like 10" - some wants B&W and some wants something else) so the idea is that one can attach for example a Lilliput monitor or pretty much anything that accepts an industry standard CVBS video signal input and use that as monitor.

There's an option to have both "raw video" out and/or "overlaid" video out with all the status details so that one can record the actual video without the overlay while still seeing it on their monitor viewfinder.

Stay tuned it's going to be cool!

/Lasse

Hello Lasse ,

A camera without a viewfinder ? this is new to me why ? so we are looking at some kind of camera that we can,t film on the fly ?

without this and that ? what the price on this ? Sorry this really sound like some kind of wet dream !

At this moment it"s all talk no show ,

#48 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

A camera without a viewfinder ? this is new to me why ? so we are looking at some kind of camera that we can,t film on the fly ?

without this and that ? what the price on this ? Sorry this really sound like some kind of wet dream !

Read his first post.   I beliieve his proposed camera has a viewfinder , but not the traditional squint through a tiny rubber eyecup type of viewfinder like on most Super 8 cameras.

Lasse wrote:

"Featuring oscillating mirror shutter for the best optical path through the lens towards the film (no glass or filters in between lens and film) when the shutter is closed the image is projected towards an integrated CMOS camera which acts as a digital viewfinder. "

#49 Zachariah Shanahan

Zachariah Shanahan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Get this vacation over with quickly!

#50 christophernigel

christophernigel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

Read his first post.   I beliieve his proposed camera has a viewfinder , but not the traditional squint through a tiny rubber eyecup type of viewfinder like on most Super 8 cameras.

Lasse wrote:

"Featuring oscillating mirror shutter for the best optical path through the lens towards the film (no glass or filters in between lens and film) when the shutter is closed the image is projected towards an integrated CMOS camera which acts as a digital viewfinder. "

A Hypothetical camera ? "then this can be what you want this to be"

A wet Dream with no filming on the fly !

#51 Carl Looper

Carl Looper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1431 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

A Hypothetical camera ? "then this can be what you want this to be"

A wet Dream with no filming on the fly !

Here is why it is a good idea, even if it turns out to be Christopher's idea of what a  wet dream might be like.

Making a camera is like making a movie. It's been done before, but that's no reason to stop.

If one were to make a new film camera, and why not (I can think of worse things that could occupy your time) then making a new Super8 camera is just as good a place to start as anywhere else. But a Super8 camera is also a good idea because a Super8 camera is the closest you can get to the convenience of digital without it having to be digital.

So having nominated a Super8 camera as your project (whether for this reason or some othe reason) the next question might be why? There are plenty of fine Super8 cameras already out there. Well yes, but if you look at the proposed specs, there isn't any that tick all the boxes that this proposition ticks. The proposition is a better Super8 camera - not just another Super8 camera.

I for one, would like a better Super8 camera. For many reasons.

The proposition takes the idea of a Super8 camera (which remains a good idea for some types of projects) and gives it a makeover. What on earth is so wrong about that? If someone has the tools and skills to do it then good on 'em I say.

It's a great idea.

C

#52 Jeremy Cavanagh

Jeremy Cavanagh
  • Sustaining Members
  • 130 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

I just want vision 3 or any other negative stock in double super 8 so I can run it through my Bolex DS8.

#53 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

While we're waiting  ...

Does anyone know if this was a real modification or are these just Photoshopped imaginings of what could be ?  --

Canon 1014 and 814 modified for 200 ft. magazine

(that link is the Google Translate version of the page from Japanese to English)

The page makes it as if this modification was actually done .

Original page :

http://www.h4.dion.n...ga/page035.html

Really ?   ---

Canon_1014_200_ft_mag.jpg

Canon_814_200_ft_mag.jpg

Super8_200_ft_mag.jpg

#54 Joerg Polzfusz

Joerg Polzfusz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hi,

While we're waiting  ...

Does anyone know if this was a real modification or are these just Photoshopped imaginings of what could be ?  --

Canon 1014 and 814 modified for 200 ft. magazine

these cameras really exist and have been shown in the "schmalfilm"-magazine several years ago. However it's not a 200 ft magazine! It's "only" an adapter to use Single8-carts in a Super8-camera. And they "only" have been created because Fuji continued to produce pre-striped versions of the R25N and RT200N after Kodak discontinued all its pre-striped sound-films in the mid-1990s. (Unfortunately Fuji axed its pre-striped versions a few years later, too, and discontinued all Single8-film in 2010/2012.)

Jörg

#55 David Nethery

David Nethery
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

these cameras really exist and have been shown in the "schmalfilm"-magazine several years ago. However it's not a 200 ft magazine! It's "only" an adapter to use Single8-carts in a Super8-camera. And they "only" have been created because Fuji continued to produce pre-striped versions of the R25N and RT200N after Kodak discontinued all its pre-striped sound-films in the mid-1990s. (Unfortunately Fuji axed its pre-striped versions a few years later, too, and discontinued all Single8-film in 2010/2012.)

Jörg

Ok, thanks for the clarification.     I'm not sure why I had "200 ft. magazine" in mind when I saw the photos.     The English version by Google Translate is garbled ,  but I did understand that they were using Fuji Single-8 film in the magazine , so perhaps I was thinking : 

Fuji Single-8 is polyester film =  THINNER film  =  200 ft. of film in compact magazine  ?

#56 Richard Hadfield

Richard Hadfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Fuji Single-8 is polyester film =  THINNER film  =  200 ft. of film in compact magazine  ?

Kodak was able to stuff 100 ft of polyester base film in a standard Super 8 cartridge.

Link:http://www.super8dat...k/kodak_mfx.htm

Edited by Richard Hadfield, 14 August 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#57 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Nice...  

I've heard the AGFA 200D stock can be stuffed in up to 65 or even 70 ft.

#58 Joerg Polzfusz

Joerg Polzfusz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

I've heard the AGFA 200D stock can be stuffed in up to 65 or even 70 ft.

Unfortunately not. Even though it's polyester-based, it's nearly as thick as most acetate-based film-stocks.

#59 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Unfortunately not. Even though it's polyester-based, it's nearly as thick as most acetate-based film-stocks.

Interesting... I had heard it was considerably thinner which was part of the reason it was so well registered compared to many acetate stocks.  I've seen some amazingly stead and smooth films from it already.

#60 Lasse Roedtnes

Lasse Roedtnes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Electrician

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi All,

Here's a few photo's of the prototype - bear in mind that it's still work in progress, the red parts are printed plastic parts and will not be there in the final version - the body is 3mm aluminium black anodized.

What you get here is an exclusive sneak peak - there will be video's available and professional photo's taken once the final camera has been made and we are ready for production.

The photo's are taken with my mobile phone so they are not the best quality by far.

Please enjoy!

Side view of camera

As mentioned the red potentiometers will be replaced and the cover behind them will not be there as well - this will be all aluminium the reason for the cover was because there used to be an LCD display here but that was taken off.

The potentiometers control monitor volume for the headphone and recording gain for the microphone.

All functions / menus are controlled by the JOG wheel - this will not change.

There's one record button, an on/off button and a third button "Phase Advance" which is not showed here as the aluminium side used for this photo series doesn't have the hole for it.

WP_20130817_007.jpg

The SD Card is popped up here (it's used for storage of audio) - when inserted it aligns with the aluminium edge of the camera.

mechanism.jpg

On the back side here's what you get:

3.5mm Jack stereo line input

3.5mm Jack monitor audio for headphones

3.5mm Jack mono microphone input

Neutrik XLR + 3pin Jack for true 48V Phantom powered microphone (mono)

USB for firmware upgrade, parameter settings, audio retrieval etc. 

7.4V Lithium Ion battery which will last several films worth of shooting on a single charge. (there are many different batteries in different sizes available)

back+2.jpg

A photo of the Lilliput monitor showing the thru-lens shot with overlaid information - right here the camera is parking it's shutter - what is not shown (because of current parking mode) is:

• Audio VU level
  • Light level
  • SD Card and audio information

Also you have the option to choose from remaining or elapsed frames.

screen.jpg

Camera seen from the other side with the lid on - the white wifi antenna is also visible.

side+ok.jpg

side+2.jpg

Sorry Matt but you need to go somewhere else for a c*** tease this time ^_^

Regards

Lasse

CineTape

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine